[Peace-discuss] Chomsky urges reaching out to Tea Partiers

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 03:45:06 CDT 2010

The Tea Partiers don't WANT to be reached out to by those on the Left.  They
don't LIKE the ideas of those on the Left.  They MOCK the ideas of those on
the Left.

Plainly Chomsky and you have no concept whatever of libertarians.  Sure,
they're disaffected and feel disenfranchised.  But their notion of the
"solution" is, in a word, LESS government, not MORE government or a
different KIND of government.  And of course WE know that they routinely
make exceptions for government that benefits THEM.  But THEY don't know it,
and can't be made to know it.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

> "...those in the Tea Party movement, who are frustrated and fed up with
> American government ... 'shouldn’t be laughed at. It’s not a joke ...
> Ridiculing the Tea Party shenanigans is a terrible mistake. Why are those
> voices of discontent being mobilized by the extreme Right?'"
>
>        Noam Chomsky urges Madison crowd to reach out to Tea Partiers
>        Joe Tarr on Friday 04/09/2010
>
> Noam Chomsky made a connection with an unlikely radical in his speech at
> the Orpheum Theatre last night: Joseph Stack, the 53-year-old software
> engineer who flew a plane into an IRS building in Texas in February.
>
> After quoting Stack’s manifesto, Chomsky said Stack was “basically right”
> in his critique of the American system of politics and capitalism.
>
> But, Chomsky, the firebrand liberal who spent most of his life critiquing
> and attacking US hegemony and foreign policy, said the left is failing the
> country by not reaching out to those in the Tea Party movement, who are
> frustrated and fed up with American government.
>
> “They shouldn’t be laughed at. It’s not a joke,” Chomsky told the packed
> theater. “Ridiculing the Tea Party shenanigans is a terrible mistake. Why
> are those voices of discontent being mobilized by the extreme Right?”
>
> ...the packed theater was engrossed with Chomsky. He began the talk
> referencing the first critical essay he wrote in 1939. “I’m just old enough
> to have memories of Hilter’s speeches on the radio,” he said. “I didn’t
> grasp the meaning, but I couldn’t help grasp the significance, the menace.”
>
> During the speech, Chomsky touched on many of the political upheavals of
> the 20th century, including the US wars in Southeast Asia, the Russian and
> US wars in Afghanistan, the Depression, globalization, Haiti, Rosa
> Luxemburg, and the labor, anti-war, environmental and Civil Rights
> movements.
>
> During the question-and-answer period afterwards, audience members asked
> Chomsky for advice on how to wage political battles. But he had no easy
> answer.
>
> “I get this question a half dozen times a day, ‘What can I do?’ There is no
> formula. There are a lot of things you can do. You can do almost anything
> you want,” he said. “You are the only one who can answer it.”
>
> But, he added, “If you’re talking about tactics, you have to ask yourself
> seriously ‘What are the consequences of your actions?’”
>
> http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=28780

believed to be clean.