[Peace-discuss] Aaron David Miller interview / the U.S. as not being the peacemaker in Israel / Palestine

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 09:51:32 CDT 2010

[I heard an interesting interview with Aaron David Miller on NPR this
morning. He was saying that the U.S. as THE peace maker in the Israel
/ Palestine relationship is not going to work now (for many reasons),
but what we should be doing is A) help Palestinian institutions and B)
press the Israelis on the issues of settlement activities, land
confiscation, and opening up check-points. -karen medina]

Below are snippets of the interview... you can hear the entire
interview here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126155449

Is Peace Really Possible in the Middle East?
Morning Edition
April 21, 2010

Inskeep: "A former U.S. diplomat questions some basic U.S. beliefs
about finding a peace deal [between Israel and Palestine]. Aaron David
Miller says that Americans often argue that a peace deal is essential,
that it can be negotiated, and that only the U.S. can make it happen.
He says he is no longer a believer in any of this."

Miller: 'Arabs and Israelis have to own their solution. The real
question is whether or not an American president can compensate for
the absence of urgency, the absence of leadership, the absence of will
which is missing in the Arab / Israeli arena today with his own
leadership, urgency, and will. That's the question.'

Miller: 'If I had my five minutes with the president, I would argue
"focus on an issue among the four core issues: (1) borders, where the
gaps are probably narrowest between Israelis and the Palestinians.
Don't hype this issue. Don't talk about 'resolution of the Arab /
Israeli conflict, peace in two years.' A) Help build Palestinian
institutions. B) Talk to the Israelis and press them hard on
settlement activity, land confiscation, and opening up check-points so
the Palestinian economy can breathe. You can do a lot, but if you go
for broke on this one, you put out your own plan, you try get these
guys together and try to substitute your own sense of urgency for the
absence of theirs, you're going to fail.'"'

believed to be clean.