[Peace-discuss] Fw: Outrageous lies

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 21 10:33:25 CDT 2010

"Oh, Mr. Republican, please don't throw us Democrats into that no-regulation
brier patch!"

It's an outrageous lie that the administration wants to do anything that will
harm the interests of its pay-masters on Wall Street.  The Democrats received
far more money in the last election from Wall Street than the Republicans did.
Therefore they will produce a regulation bill like their health-care bill: a few
sops of reform covering a massive pay-off to financial interests.  --CGE

<https://pol.moveon.org/donate/wallstreet.html?bg_id=hpc5&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=2>

> [...]
> willing to do it to protect their allies at the big banks.
>
> They know this is a high risk strategy. Their pollsters say the only way
> they'll get away with it is if they lie about Obama's plan and say it will
> cause more bailouts—even though they know that it will do the exact
> opposite.^2
>
> But if we don't expose them—their lies will stick. Remember health care?
>
> The truth is that Wall Street reform will:^3
>
> * *End the bailouts* by forcing big financial companies to put aside money
> now, so if there's another AIG-like disaster, taxpayers won't be on the hook.
> We'll use the big banks' own money to shut them down. * *Protect consumers*
> by creating an independent watchdog that would finally stop credit card
> companies, mortgage brokers, and big banks from hiding information in the
> fine print. * *Shut down the "shadow markets"* by cracking down on the
> backroom trading that put our economy at risk. Unlike the stock market, these
> "shadow markets"—where trillions of dollars of "derivatives" are traded each
> year—are secret, highly risky, and virtually unregulated.^4,5
>
> So we're fighting back. But we need help. Can you chip in $5?
>
> https://pol.moveon.org/donate/wallstreet.html?bg_id=hpc5&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=4

<https://pol.moveon.org/donate/wallstreet.html?bg_id=hpc5&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=4>

> Thanks for all you do.
>
> –Nita, Laura, Daniel, Ilyse and the rest of the team
>
> Sources
>
> 1. "No more taxpayer bailouts," Americans for Financial Reform, April 15,
> 2010 http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87878&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=5
> <http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87878&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=5>
>
> 2. "A GOP Financial Reform Bellwether," Time, April 13, 2010
> http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87876&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=6
> <http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87876&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=6>
>
> 3. Senate Banking Committee, April 16, 2010
> http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87877&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=7
> <http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87877&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=7>
>
> 4. "Sen. Lincoln unveils broad derivatives regulatory bill," MarketWatch,
> April 16, 2010 http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87879&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=8
> <http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87879&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=8>
>
> 5. "Derivatives market," Wikipedia, April 13, 2010
> http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87838&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=9
> <http://www.moveon.org/r?r=87838&id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=9>
>

> Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no
> corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures
> that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here
> <http://political.moveon.org/donate/email.html?id=19922-10635882-ZjDdtVx&t=10>.

> PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not
> authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to
> Jenifer Cartwright on April 20, 2010. To change your email address or update

believed to be clean.