[Peace-discuss] Aaron David Miller interview / the U.S. as not being the peacemaker in Israel / Palestine

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 19:26:01 CDT 2010

Mr. MILLER: "I'm saying that - to borrow a wonderful phrase from Larry Summers, who once argued that in the history of the world, nobody ever washed a rental car: We care only about what we own. And Arabs and Israelis, if this is going to succeed, have to own their own negotiations. They have to invest in them. That has not happened. So the real question is whether or not an American president can compensate for the absence of urgency, the absence of leadership, the absence of will, which is missing from the Arab-Israeli arena today with his own leadership, urgency and will. That's the question."

Really, this is all based on standard assumptions, as the reference to Summers shows, which is also a reference to Thomas Friedman. Of course Israel won't "own" negotiations when it has spent 60 years expanding its territories and expelling Palestinians, and it has the power to keep going. And all Obama would have to do is enforce international and American law, first of all by cutting off aid and arms to Israel. As Chomsky keeps saying, the solution to this problem is the simplest on on earth.

But this is, after all, NPR.

DG