[Peace-discuss] An American hero & the need for the 2nd Amendment

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 03:35:09 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

> Anent some comments of mine about opposing the use of armed force in
> America in 1775 - and even more in 1861 - it was asked if there were any
> circumstances under which I would support armed insurrection. Robert Hicks
> seems to me to provide a noble example:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/us/25hicks.html?ref=obituaries

Yes, "it was asked."  :-)

What Robert Hicks and his colleagues did was not armed insurrection; it was
self-defense.  Or so it seems to me.

What if the KKK was another nation rather than a domestic terrorist
organization?

It seems curious to me that you would support the Deacons for Defense and
Justice but would NOT support the War Between the States - assuming that the
primary purpose of the Civil War was to end the institution of slavery,
which I believe it was.  That's a point I'm not going to argue.

believed to be clean.