[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Fw: Goldman Sachs, Greed is God?; Somali Pirates GS Subsidiary?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 27 21:34:07 CDT 2010

For the historical context to which David refers, see "The Many-Headed Hydra:
The Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic" (Beacon Press, 2001) by Marcus
Rediker and Peter Linebaugh.

I'm happy to say that Peter and I joint-taught a course on Western civilization
("That would be a good idea!" --Gandhi) at the University of Rochester thirty
years ago.  --CGE

On 4/27/10 9:10 PM, Laurie Solomon wrote:

> Yes, I realized that it was a joke; but sometimes jokes carry a grounding for
> realities and truths. This, unfortunately, is the case with this. Just as the
> pirates are no different than the bankers, the Somalis are also not unlike
> our naval quarantines and blockades of shipping in international waters aimed
> at countries that we do not like or our over flights of sovereign nations
> without their permission, disrupting communications, bombing civilians and
> targets, spying, or landing military or paramilitary personnel.
>
> *From:* unionyes <mailto:unionyes at ameritech.net> *Sent:* Tuesday, April 27,
> 2010 6:28 PM *To:* sf-core <mailto:sf-core at yahoogroups.com> ; Laurie Solomon
>  <mailto:ls1000 at live.com> *Subject:* Re: [sf-core] Fw: Goldman Sachs, Greed
> is God?; Somali Pirates GS Subsidiary?
>
> It was a joke of course, However, what the Somali Pirates were actually doing
> was the functions of a country's coast guard, patrolling and regulating
> illegal toxic dumping and illegal fishing in Somali waters. Granted they
> expanded it to the point where they were indiscriminate. That is, wanting to
> collect " duties " on any ship in Somali waters. Besides, I always liked
> Pirates. In what they call the " Golden Age " of Piracy in the Caribbean
> during the 17th and 18th century, Pirates were a very multi-racial,
> democratic, society and only robbed from the wealthy. David J.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- *From:* Laurie Solomon <mailto:ls1000 at live.com>
> *To:* unionyes <mailto:unionyes at ameritech.net> *Sent:* Tuesday, April 27,
> 2010 5:57 PM *Subject:* Re: [sf-core] Fw: Goldman Sachs, Greed is God?;
> Somali Pirates GS Subsidiary?
>
> The Somali pirates are not as stupid as the US press has made them out to be.
> Of course given the imbalance in legal sanction, one would not ever find the
> bankers claiming to be what they really are - e.g., pirates. So why shouldn't
> the pirates claim to be investment bankers or their agents? Makes sense to
> me.
>
> *From:* unionyes <mailto:unionyes at ameritech.net> *Sent:* Tuesday, April 27,
> 2010 4:02 PM *To:* Undisclosed-Recipient: ;@smtp103.sbc.mail.re3.yahoo.com
> <mailto:Undisclosed-Recipient:%20;@smtp103.sbc.mail.re3.yahoo.com> *Subject:*
> [sf-core] Fw: Goldman Sachs, Greed is God?; Somali Pirates GS Subsidiary?
>
> Somali Pirates Say They Are Subsidiary of Goldman Sachs Could Make
> Prosecution Difficult, Experts Say
>
> April 26, 2010 NORFOLK, VIRGINIA (The Borowitz Report) borowitzreport.com
>
> â?" Eleven indicted Somali pirates dropped a bombshell in a U.S. court today,
> revealing that their entire piracy operation is a subsidiary of banking giant
> Goldman Sachs.
>
> There was an audible gasp in the courtroom when the leader of the pirates
> announced, â?oWe are doing Godâ?Ts work. We work for Lloyd Blankfein.â?
>
> The pirate, who said he earned a bonus of $48 million in dubloons last year,
> [...]

believed to be clean.