[Peace-discuss] What they want you to know...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 1 18:57:43 CDT 2010

[AP channels official government propaganda on the war.  But there was a
screw-up - or Frank Rich didn't read his email.  Here's what he wrote for the
NYT today, before the DC boys got around to denying it: "58 percent of the
country favors [Obama's] announced timeline, with its promise to start
withdrawing troops in mid-2011. It’s hard to imagine what could change that
equation now." Answer: the fact that Obama is lying about his government's
intentions, as his lieutenants make clear. --CGE]

	US officials say war goals modest in Afghanistan
	By ANNE GEARAN, AP National Security Writer

WASHINGTON – As the war in Afghanistan faces a loss of public and congressional
support and U.S. casualties rise sharply, the Obama administration is painting
its goals for the war as humble and achievable while warning there is no quick
fix [AS NAPOLEON SAID IN MOSCOW.]

"Nobody thinks that Afghanistan is going to be a model Jeffersonian democracy,"
President Barack Obama said in a television interview that aired Sunday. [WHEN
THEY START USING THIS CLICHE, UNDERSTAND IT'S LIKE SAYING 'JEFFREY DAHMER WAS
NOT A MODEL CITIZEN.']

"What we're looking to do is difficult — very difficult — but it's a fairly
modest goal, which is: Don't allow terrorists to operate from this region. Don't
allow them to create big training camps and to plan attacks against the U.S.
homeland with impunity," Obama said in an interview broadcast by CBS' "Sunday
Morning." [THEIR POLLS SHOW WHAT OUR INFORMAL ONES DO - THE OLD LBJ LINE 'WE'RE
FIGHTING THEM THERE SO WE WON'T HAVE TO FIGHT THEM HERE' IS ABOUT ALL THAT'S
WORKING.]

July was the deadliest month for U.S. forces in the nearly nine-year war, with
66 troops killed. Military officials predict the toll will be even higher for
several months to come, as U.S., NATO and Afghan forces intensify fighting in
Taliban-controlled areas. [BUT THERE'S LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, RIGHT?]

[IN SPITE OF WHAT YOU'VE HEARD, MAINLY FROM THE OBAMA ADMINSTRATION] ... Defense
Secretary Robert Gates predicted that only a small number of U.S. forces will
come home next summer, when Obama has said he will begin phasing out the U.S.
combat mission in Afghanistan. [BURY YOUR LEDE MUCH?] A large number of U.S.
forces will remain past the start of that drawdown, Gates said, and he gave no
estimate for when all U.S. forces might leave [NOT IN HIS LIFETIME, HE MEANS.]

"My personal opinion is that drawdowns early on will be of fairly limited
numbers," Gates said. "As we are successful, we'll probably accelerate."

Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, used
television interviews Sunday to try to reassure Afghan and Pakistani leaders
that the U.S. will not abandon the fight. [AND - OH, YEAH - WE GOT A PLAN TO
BOMB IRAN, SAID MIKE, BUT THE AP NATIONAL SECURITY WRITER IS TOO POLITE TO
MENTION IT.]

"I think we need to re-emphasize the message that we are not leaving Afghanistan
in July of 2011 [IN SPITE OF WHAT THE GUY WITH THE BIG EARS SAYS.] We are
beginning a transition process and a thinning of our ranks," Gates said, "and
the pace will depend on the conditions on the ground" [SEE THE CORSICAN IN
MOSCOW, ABOVE.]

Mullen acknowledged that time and patience are short, and that all the fighting
so far has not neutralized the Taliban as a military force. Some military
assessments from within Afghanistan conclude the insurgency is more potent.
Whiffs of that conclusion emerged from tens of thousands of leaked secret war
assessments that Mullen decried as an appalling breach of trust.

"I don't think that the Taliban being stronger than they've been since 2001 is,
is news [EXCEPT FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THE US PRESIDENT]," Mullen said, noting
the insurgency regained momentum over several years.

The Taliban's firmer purchase on key areas of Afghanistan while U.S. and allied
forces challenge that territory for the first time makes the coming year
crucial, military officials and members of both political parties agree. [LAST
YEAR WASN'T CRUCIAL, OF COURSE.]

"I certainly understand it is the ninth year, it is a long time, the sacrifices
have been significant," Mullen said. "At the same time, I think the strategies
are right." [WHO SAID, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but
expecting different results"?]

Release of the nearly 77,000 secret military records from the war has done real
harm but hasn't affected the U.S. war strategy, Mullen said. [KEEP BOTH POINTS
IN MIND; IT'S DONE REAL HARM, BUT IT HASN'T MADE ANY DIFFERENCE.]

Gates accused the website WikiLeaks, which posted the material a week ago, of
"moral culpability" for potentially deadly repercussions. The Taliban can glean
a lot about U.S. tactics and sources from the documents, Gates said. [WE'D
USUALLY APPLAUD NATIONAL RESISTANCE AGAINST A FOREIGN INVADER.]

"That's where I think the verdict is guilty on WikiLeaks," Gates said. [AND WE
DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' TRIALS - THE PRESIDENT JUST ORDERS AMERICANS WITH THE
WRONG IDEAS BE KILLED.] "They have put this out without any regard whatsoever
for the consequences." [WHEREAS ALL WE DO IS THROW BOMBS AND BULLETS AROUND
WITHOUT REGARD FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.]

Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, acknowledged
the slide in support for the war among congressional Democrats. "They have the
impression that things are not going well now, at least the majority," Levin
said of Americans. "But I think the public does want us to succeed," [AS THE
GERMAN HIGH COMMAND SAID OF OPERATION BARBAROSSA.]

...A top Republican on the Armed Services Committee, Sen. Lindsey Graham of
South Carolina, said he could foresee a collapse of congressional support next
year if conservative Republicans yank their backing to make Obama look bad and
if anti-war Democrats insist on a pullout. [HE KNOWS OUR PLAN!]

"I do worry about an unholy alliance with the right and left coming together
next summer, if we're not showing progress, to basically de-fund this war,"
Graham said. [UNHOLIER THAN THOU, EVERYBODY!]

"Afghanistan is a work in progress," he said. "To lose there would be
disastrous. To win there would be monumental. And I think we've got a good
chance of winning, but by no means is the outcome certain."  [SO THESE BASTARDS
CAN BE STOPPED.]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100801/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_us_afghanistan