[Peace-discuss] The message of wiki-leaks…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 1 20:42:44 CDT 2010

Yes, we should "get our bloody hands out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, etc."

But is any argument that says we should do so "for the good"?

How about, e.g., the argument that it was the International Jewish Conspiracy
that tricked us into it in the first place, so we've got to find those Jews and
stop them?

How about the argument that that nice Mr. Obama could never mean to hurt anybody
halfway around the world, so as soon as he's told what's happening, he'll stop it?

The best will in the world, in the absence of an accurate analysis, can do the
right thing only by accident.

David has quite accurately articulated the subtext of Rich's article - a subtext
that the ex-theatre critic is perfectly aware of. The point of the column -
entitled "Kiss This War Goodbye" - is "the Afghan war is on its downside,
everyone knows it, so let's attend to other issues while war is ended by some
vague process that will not require voluntary action on the part of the citizenry."

Perish the though! The one thing the administration is afraid of is "voluntary
action on the part of the citizenry": the point of "Audacity of Hope" was
Obama's promise to the US elite that what the public did in regard to Vietnam
can be prevented from happening again, and he's the man to do it.

Rich aids the campaign by, among other things, misrepresenting that earlier -
and different - war: By 1971, he says, "Most Americans had long been telling
pollsters the war was a mistake." Not quite - or rather not the whole truth.
Even by 1969, 70% of the respondents to a question about the Vietnam War from
the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations choose the option that the war was
"fundamentally wrong and immoral, not a mistake."

The Obama people and their flacks in the press know how important it is to avoid
the growth of that opinion again.  Rich is doing his job. Move along, folks;
nothin' happenin' here...