[Peace-discuss] The message of wiki-leaks…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 2 12:08:29 CDT 2010

In Rich's NYRB review of Alter's gushing swill ("...Barack Obama was in the
company of Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson now in terms of domestic
achievement, a figure of history for reasons far beyond the color of his skin”),
Afghanistan gets about as much space as the refutation of a story that Sarkozy
and Obama checked out a Carioca's ass.

In the penultimate paragraph Rich announces that Afghanistan is a "challenging
quandary" - not a crime nor even a mistake.  He opines that Obama's Afghanistan
strategy is a "Rube Goldberg policy ... at once intellectually clever and yet
makes no discernible sense on the ground"!

That's it.