[Peace-discuss] The real threat to the US war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 3 18:08:49 CDT 2010

"...states have an internal enemy: their own population, which must be
controlled when state policy is opposed by the public ... The battle to control
the internal enemy ... remains highly pertinent — indeed, the future of the war
in Afghanistan may hinge on it.  '

	The War in Afghanistan: Echoes of Vietnam
	By Noam Chomsky

The War Logs — a six-year archive of classified military documents about the war
in Afghanistan, released on the Internet by the organization WikiLeaks —
documents a grim struggle becoming grimmer, from the U.S. perspective. And for
the Afghans, a mounting horror.

The War Logs, however valuable, may contribute to the unfortunate and prevailing
doctrine that wars are wrong only if they aren’t successful—rather like the
Nazis felt after Stalingrad.

Last month came the fiasco of Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, forced to retire as
commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan and replaced by his superior, Gen. David
H. Petraeus.

A plausible consequence is a relaxation of the rules of engagement so that it
becomes easier to kill civilians, and an extension of the war well into the
future as Petraeus uses his clout in Congress to achieve this result.

Afghanistan is President Obama’s principal current war. The official goal is to
protect ourselves from al-Qaida, a virtual organization, with no specific base —
a “network of networks” and “leaderless resistance,” as it’s been called in the
professional literature. Now, even more so than before, al-Qaida consists of
relatively independent factions, loosely associated throughout the world.

The CIA estimates that 50 to 100 al-Qaeda activists may now be in Afghanistan,
and there is no indication that the Taliban want to repeat the mistake of
offering sanctuary to al-Qaeda.

By contrast, the Taliban appear to be well-established in their vast forbidding
landscape, a large part of the Pashtun territories.

In February, in the first exercise of Obama’s new strategy, U.S. Marines
conquered Marja, a minor district in Helmand province, the main center of the
insurgency.

There, reported The New York Times’ Richard A. Oppel Jr., “The Marines have
collided with a Taliban identity so dominant that the movement appears more akin
to the only political organization in a one-party town, with an influence that
touches everyone.”

“‘We’ve got to re-evaluate our definition of the word `enemy,’ said Brig. Gen.
Larry Nicholson, commander of the Marine expeditionary brigade in Helmand
Province. `Most people here identify themselves as Taliban. We have to readjust
our thinking so we’re not trying to chase the Taliban out of Marja, we’re trying
to chase the enemy out.’”

The Marines are facing a problem that has always bedeviled conquerors, one that
is very familiar to the U.S. from Vietnam. In 1969, Douglas Pike, the leading
U.S. government scholar on Vietnam, lamented that the enemy—the National
Liberation Front—was the only “truly mass-based political party in South Vietnam.”

Any effort to compete with that enemy politically would be like a conflict
between a minnow and a whale, Pike recognized. We therefore had to overcome the
NLF’s political force by using our comparative advantage, violence—with
horrifying results.

Others have faced similar problems: for example, the Russians in Afghanistan
during the 1980s, where they won every battle but lost the war.

Writing of another U.S. invasion—the Philippines in 1898—Bruce Cumings, an Asia
historian at the University of Chicago, made an observation that applies all too
aptly to Afghanistan today: “When a sailor sees that his heading is disastrous
he changes course, but imperial armies sink their boots in quicksand and keep
marching, if only in a circle, while the politicians plum the phrase book of
American ideals.”

After the Marja triumph, the U.S.-led forces were expected to assault the major
city of Kandahar, where, according to a U.S. Army poll in April, the military
operation is opposed by 95 percent of the population, and 5 out of 6 regard the
Taliban as “our Afghan brothers”—again, echoes of earlier conquests. The
Kandahar plans were delayed, part of the background for McChrystal’s leavetaking.

Under these circumstances, it is not surprising that U.S. authorities are
concerned that public support for the war in Afghanistan may erode even further.

In May, WikiLeaks released a March CIA memorandum about how to sustain Western
Europe’s support for the war. The memorandum’s subtitle: “Why Counting on Apathy
Might Not Be Enough.”

“The Afghanistan mission’s low public salience has allowed French and German
leaders to disregard popular opposition and steadily increase their troop
contributions to the International Security Assistance Force,” the memorandum
states.

“Berlin and Paris currently maintain the third and fourth highest ISAF troop
levels, despite the opposition of 80 percent of German and French respondents to
increased ISAF deployments.” It is therefore necessary to “tailor messaging” to
“forestall or at least contain backlash.”

The CIA memorandum should remind us that states have an internal enemy: their
own population, which must be controlled when state policy is opposed by the public.

Democratic societies rely not on force but on propaganda, engineering consent by
“necessary illusion” and “emotionally potent oversimplication,” to quote Obama’s
favorite philosopher, Reinhold Niebuhr.

The battle to control the internal enemy, then, remains highly pertinent —
indeed, the future of the war in Afghanistan may hinge on it.

© The New York Times Syndicate

http://inthesetimes.com/article/6280/the_war_in_afghanistan_echoes_of_vietnam/