[Peace-discuss] Andrew Bacevich -- check this out!!

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 10:49:45 CDT 2010

"Bacevich's book might persuade those (79%) who are against the war in
Afghanistan that the US needs to rethink its belief in military solutions and
winnable wars AND its behavior twds the rest of the world."

I do retract my earlier comments on Bacevich's motives, which in any event are
not central to the issue. I do think he's become a genuine opponent of American
empire.

That said, why do the 79% who already oppose the war (and many of whom perhaps
oppose it on a more fundamentally principled and moral basis than Bacevich) need
this book to "rethink" America's behavior?

Our leaders are not going to wake up one day and decide to behave in a moral and
principled way. There are class interests to be promoted. And I don't think that
Bacevich's references to George Washington, Eisenhower and M-I complex,
Fulbright, etc. are helpful in this regard.

DG