[Peace-discuss] has Congress become Useless?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 9 20:01:31 CDT 2010

  BTW if we wanted to look at the classical parallels (Caesar, Rome, etc.) we
should convene an on-going AWARE seminar on a vast and absolutely brilliant book
(sprightly & well-written, too) -

    G. E. M. de Ste. Croix (1982) "The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek
World: From the Archaic Age to the Arab Conquests."

It tells the story of the gradual but complete eradication of Greek democracy
after Augustus and argues that it was increasing inequality that was the actual
cause of the collapse.