[Peace-discuss] Glenn Greenwald: What propagandist Goldberg has been up to

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 14 10:33:34 CDT 2010

  I thought that this one of Greenwald's weaker columns.

He's usually so good, it's probably worthwhile to see why - and perhaps to help
understand the Obama administration's pro-war propaganda.

Imagine what Goldberg would say in response, rejecting the claim that any
"irony" was involved:

"In 2002 I repeated what the entire US intelligence community - civilian and
military - and many others were saying. (E.g., '...bombing of the Osirak reactor
in Iraq in 1981 ... according to available evidence, convinced Saddam Hussein to
initiate his nuclear weapons program' - Noam Chomsky*.)

"The war revealed that that was wrong - and that the situation was what I
described it in the recent piece.

"We must be sure that Iran is rendered ineffective, as Iraq and Syria were.  We
must fight nuclear proliferation, as the President says."

I think in fact the whole account is false, from the effectiveness of the Osirak
attack to the "threat" from Iran.  But we need to say that, not simply score
debating points by suggesting propagandists have perhaps contradicted
themselves.   --CGE

*["The little evidence we have - serious evidence - indicates that the 1981
Israeli bombing of the Osirak reactor probably stimulated and may have initiated
the Iraqi nuclear weapons development program. They were engaged in building a
nuclear plant, but what it was nobody knew. It was investigated on the ground
after the bombing by a well-known nuclear physicist from Harvard - I believe he
was head of the Harvard physics department at the time. He published his
analysis in the leading scientific journal, Nature. According to him, it was a
power plant. He’s an expert on this topic. Other Iraqi sources, exiled, have
indicated - we can’t prove it - that nothing much was going on. They may have
been toying with the idea of nuclear weapons, but that the bombing of it did
stimulate the nuclear weapons program..."]