[Peace-discuss] trying times? - John Williams

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sun Aug 15 09:26:49 CDT 2010

  Consider the richest one per cent of US citizens. In 2009, their investible assets - i.e, not including their primary residence, art works, collectibles, etc. - totaled over $12 trillion. In that year, the total US budgetary deficit was $1.7 trillion.  Had the US government levied an economic emergency tax of 15% on only investible assets (i.e., not entire net worth) in excess of $1 million, it could could have covered the entire 2009 deficit.  And of course 99% of the population would have been exempted from that tax.

I read "investible assets" as "invincible assets" on my first take.

That's because I need a nap..., but I am wondering if my first take doesnt describe the situation, cynically.