[Peace-discuss] Restorative Circles practice group

Mikhail Lyubansky lyubanskym at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:31:42 CDT 2010

Dear friends,

A reminder for anyone interested in learning about restorative justice that
we will meet today at 6:30. Please forward the message to anyone you think
may be interested.  I look forward to seeing you there.  Below is the
original invitation:

I'm pleased to announce that we will have a weekly Restorative Circle (RC)
> practice group in Champaign. The group will meet on Thursdays 6:30-8:00pm in
> the Champaign Public Library (in one of the 1st-floor Pavilion rooms,
> depending on room availability). The first meeting will be a week from
> tomorrow (August 12th) in Robeson Pavilion A. We will have a standing
> Thursday meeting during this time slot thereafter.
>
> The practice group is open to the public. Please feel free to forward this
> message to any person or organization that you think would be interested.
> There is no charge of any sort and no commitment is required (drop in as you
> please).  However, if you are interested, please try to attend the first few
> meetings. It takes about 5 hours to learn to facilitate the RC process, so
> I'm going to spend part of the first 3 meetings describing and modeling the
> various components before we break off into practice circles.  As expertise
> builds, I anticipate that we'll spend more and more time in practice and
> peer-learning.
>
> For those of you who are on this list because you've attended an NVC
> workshop, RC is a specific restorative justice system developed by Dominic
> Barter is Brazil and now making its way to the U.S., Europe, and even
> Africa. Dominic studied NVC with NVC founder Marshall Rosenberg and has
> clearly been influenced by NVC. However, the RC process is its own process.
> It does not require familiarity with NVC and, unlike NVC, it is used
> specifically as a way to work through conflict, big or small.

Mikhail

P.S.  I've written two pieces this past week about restorative justice for
the Psychology Today blog.  Perhaps they will be of interest:

Our-justice-system-requires-us-punish-wrongdoers-what-if-there-were-a better
way?<http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines/201008/our-justice-system-requires-us-punish-wrongdoers-what-if-there-were-be>

A Few Words in Favor of Compassion for the
Cruel<http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines/201008/few-words-in-favor-compassion-the-cruel>

Mikhail Lyubansky, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
http://www.psych.uiuc.edu/~lyubansk