[Peace-discuss] The more serious war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 25 20:46:41 CDT 2010

  [Pentagon vs. CIA? In any case, it seem that he pentagon's favorite newspaper
is stealing a march on the CIA's favorite parer, the WaPo.]

     Breaking News Alert
     The New York Times
     Wed, August 25, 2010 -- 9:23 PM ET

Key Karzai Aide in Graft Inquiry Is Linked to C.I.A.

The aide to President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan at the
center of a politically sensitive corruption investigation is
being paid by the Central Intelligence Agency, according to
Afghan and American officials.

Mohammed Zia Salehi, the chief of administration for the
National Security Council, appears to have been on the
payroll for many years, according to officials in Kabul and
Washington. It is unclear exactly what Mr. Salehi does in
exchange for his money.

Mr. Salehi's relationship with the C.I.A. underscores deep
contradictions at the heart of the Obama administration's
policy in Afghanistan, with American officials simultaneously
demanding that Mr. Karzai root out the corruption that
pervades his government while sometimes subsidizing the very
people suspected of perpetrating it.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/asia/26kabul.html?emc=na