[Peace-discuss] "Palestinian Gandhi" Convicted for Protesting; U.S. Silent

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 27 10:55:13 CDT 2010

  Israeli universities accused of anti-Zionism
By Tobias Buck in Jerusalem
Published: August 26 2010 16:12 | Last updated: August 26 2010 16:12

Israel’s universities are normally a source of national pride. Widely acclaimed
for groundbreaking research in fields ranging from archaeology and chemistry to
mathematics and economics, the country’s leading institutions have become serial
claimants of Nobel prizes.

Recently, however, the academic community has found itself at the centre of
political controversy. The argument focuses on accusations that important
departments are dominated by leftwing “anti-Zionists”, whose teachings are
geared towards criticism of the government and army.

Ironically, this means that Israel’s universities are under attack from all
sides. Foreign critics have repeatedly tried to single out their professors and
lecturers for an academic boycott. Last year, the University and College Union
in the UK, the largest professional association of British academics, voted to
boycott Israeli universities, though the resolution was not implemented because
it was held to breach anti-discrimination laws.

Too Israeli for some, and not enough for others, the country’s universities
appear to be caught in the middle of a broader conflict.

Accusations about their supposed leftwing bias are not new. But the charges took
on a sharper edge when one rightwing pressure group declared it would urge
donors to stop funding Ben-Gurion University unless its president ended the
institution’s alleged leftwing slant.

The ultimatum came in a letter from Im Tirtzu, a small but highly visible group
of rightwing activists who say their goal is to “strengthen the values of
Zionism”. Erez Tadmor, one of the group’s founders, says the letter was prompted
by “dozens of complaints” from politics students at BGU saying they were being
“brainwashed” by “professors [who] are there to promote anti-Zionist and radical
leftist propaganda”.

Mr Tadmor claims the department is run like an “academic dictatorship”. A survey
by Im Tirtzu found that eight out of 11 senior faculty members were “radical
leftists who sign petitions against the state”.

The university has rejected the charges, saying that its social sciences
department is so popular among students that it has been turning away applicants
for months.

Meanwhile, a study by the Institute for Zionist Strategies, a rightwing
think-tank, asserts that almost all sociology departments in Israeli
universities are dominated by a “severe anti-Zionist bias”. The allegations stem
from various sociology syllabuses, which were found to contain only 146
references to sources classified as “Zionist”, but 440 to those considered
“post-Zionist”.

University presidents have described the study as a crude attempt to undermine
academic freedom. But Joseph Klafter, president of Tel Aviv University, did ask
for a review of teaching materials in his sociology department; he later
backtracked.

David Newman, dean of the social sciences department at BGU, says the attacks
are causing real concern. “We should be alarmed. We have to be very wary of
political interference within the debate process and the academic process.”
Avishay Braverman, the minorities minister and a former president of BGU, went
further, denouncing the assault as “borderline fascism”.

The latest charges echo harsh public attacks on peace activists and human rights
groups earlier this year. In both cases the controversy has raised concerns over
an Israeli strand of “McCarthyism” that attempts to silence dissent.

Israeli universities, as well as non-governmental organisations of all political
persuasions, depend heavily on donations from the US and Europe. The bulk of
that funding is almost certainly secure, but universities admit that the charges
of leftwing bias have led some donors to rethink. Mr Klafter said last week that
one supporter had decided to switch funding to another institution, because of a
decision by some academics at Tel Aviv University to support an academic boycott
of Israel.

Prof Newman said there had been similar tensions at BGU. Like most academics, he
believes the recent accusations are doing more harm to Israel, particularly its
international reputation, than any leftwing bias on the country’s campuses. “We
have a very clear attempt to shut down voices – and I think that is tremendously
damaging to Israel’s image as a pluralistic society.”