[Peace-discuss] Corn Festival -- RE: Sweet Corn Fest Fri & Sat!

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 28 17:54:24 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 09:09:09PM -0500, Bill Strutz wrote:
> S'allright.  It's good to know what happened, though.
> The 5-7 shift was fairly quiet.  It was in the 7-9 shift that Stuart had to
> handle some argumentive people.  I think that beer may have been a factor..
> -- Bill

[oops, thought i'd sent this before -- that's why you hadn't seen it, Carl!]

The ones I talked with [one or maybe two Iraq vets, and the wife of another]
didn't seem to be drunk.  Just committed to the good effects of war.
We're doing more good in Iraq than harm, you know.  Building schools,
improving literacy, and fighting them over there so we don't have to
fight them here -- the whole line.  And in their eyes, Bradley Manning
is guilty, guilty, guilty (not just 'accused'), and no hero.

The only really frightening encounter of the evening came later.
Jenifer and I talked with a man (not apparently drunk) who came by with
his young son.  He approved of bringing the troops home.   Said we should
rid ourselves of the whole problem of the Middle East by nuking it,
just like we did Japan (Japanese were proud people, they'd never surrender).
Nuking the Middle East would save lots of American lives.   We know
those people are dangerous -- just remember 9/11.
He appeared to be serious.  Jenifer offered a counterargument:
if some Timothy-McVeigh-like American went to Mexico and
bombed something there, would he consider that the Mexicans
would be right to bomb the US?  It made no dent.  America is Different.