[Peace-discuss] Antiwar Teaparty foreign policy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 28 19:47:08 CDT 2010

  [Better than most liberals are saying.  --CGE]

"I see tremendous opportunities for movements like the Tea Party to prosper by
capitalizing on the Democrats' broken promises to overturn the George W. Bush
administration's civil liberties abuses and end the disastrous wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan."

      A Tea Party Foreign Policy
      BY RON PAUL | AUGUST 27, 2010

As one who is opposed to centralization, I am wary of attempts to turn a
grassroots movement against big government like the Tea Party into an adjunct of
the Republican Party. I find it even more worrisome when I see those who
willingly participated in the most egregious excesses of the most recent
Republican Congress push their way into leadership roles of this movement
without batting an eye -- or changing their policies!

As many frustrated Americans who have joined the Tea Party realize, we cannot
stand against big government at home while supporting it abroad. We cannot talk
about fiscal responsibility while spending trillions on occupying and bullying
the rest of the world. We cannot talk about the budget deficit and spiraling
domestic spending without looking at the costs of maintaining an American empire
of more than 700 military bases in more than 120 foreign countries. We cannot
pat ourselves on the back for cutting a few thousand dollars from a nature
preserve or an inner-city swimming pool at home while turning a blind eye to a
Pentagon budget that nearly equals those of the rest of the world combined.

Our foreign policy is based on an illusion: that we are actually paying for it.
What we are doing is borrowing and printing money to maintain our presence
overseas. Americans are seeing the cost of this irresponsible approach as their
own communities crumble and our economic decline continues.

I see tremendous opportunities for movements like the Tea Party to prosper by
capitalizing on the Democrats' broken promises to overturn the George W. Bush
administration's civil liberties abuses and end the disastrous wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan. A return to the traditional U.S. foreign policy of active private
engagement but government noninterventionism is the only alternative that can
restore our moral and fiscal health. I am optimistic, and our numbers are
increasing!

Ron Paul is representative for the 14th Congressional District of Texas in the
U.S. Congress.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/27/a_tea_party_foreign_policy