[Peace-discuss] [Peace] UIUC UGL promoting administration war propaganda

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:27:51 CDT 2010

Carl,

The Undergraduate Library sent you this message????? What was the
actual email address? If it was the staff at the library, I think it
is time for the librarians of greater CU to do something. But I really
cannot fathom it being from the library.

-karen medina

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:14 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
> The Undergraduate Library @ UIUC announces the following:
>
> "Witness history! Tomorrow (August 31) marks the end of the War in Iraq
> (sic). Join us at UGL to watch a live broadcast of President Obama's
> declaration of the end of the combat mission, and stay for a discussion
> afterward."
>
> I sent them a note ("That's an outrageous acquiescence to the
> administration's propaganda. The war is nowhere near over. Obama continues
> to order mass murder in the Middle East in pursuit of America's neo-colonial
> project in the region. I hope you will have someone to point that out in the
> discussion afterward..."), to which they (?) replied
>
> "Carl, come to the broadcast! I'm hoping the President's address will be
> followed by a vibrant discussion of *all* the issues. For the record, I
> don't disagree with you at all -- but it is still a historic moment, and a
> fantastically rich opportunity to talk about dozens of different things."
>
> I suppose AWARE - perhaps particularly AWARE's new undergraduate members -
> should show up.
>
> And I suppose we geezers have to go for moral support...  --CGE

karen medina
"In this universe, we are given two gifts: the ability to love, and
the ability to ask questions." (Mary Oliver, American poet)
A third gift is the ability to laugh. (Jenifer, a friend)