[Peace-discuss] The US Legacy in Iraq

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 31 11:29:26 CDT 2010

  It's /Patrick/ Cockburn, Mort, not Alexander - and there's no Western reporter
closer to Iraq than Patrick C.

I'm actually doubtful about Alexander's reading of the situation, viz.:

=========
The American right tried to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat by claiming
that "the surge" -- a pr ploy by General David Petraeus to mask US withdrawal --
was a military success, rather than the Sunni abandoning "national resistance"
and throwing in their lot with the Americans. The left -- or the substantial
slice of it hewing to the Milne/Ali line -- snatches defeat from the jaws of a
victory over America's plans for Iraq by proclaiming that America has
successfully established  what Milne calls  "a new form of outsourced
semi-colonial regime to maintain its grip on the country and region." Iraq is in
ruins -- always the default consequence of American imperial endeavors.  The
left should report this, but also  hammer home the message that in terms of its
proclaimed objectives the US onslaught on Iraq was a strategic and military
disaster. That's the lesson to bring home.

The US war aims were to establish military bases in the heart of the world's
greatest energy-producing region and gain effective control over the country
with the world's second-largest oil reserves.  (The country with the largest,
Saudi Arabia, is already a US "ally.")

The Bush-Obama assault on Iraq seems to have achieved those aims.  America does
seem to have established  "a new form of outsourced semi-colonial regime to
maintain its grip on the country and region."  --CGE