[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on Democracy Now 101130

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:23:14 CST 2010

Dear Peace-discuss,

[side comment: Interesting that this has become a conversation about
the problems with education. There is so much in the interview worthy
of long conversations. ]

I will jump in on the education conversation.

As a librarian, I am predisposed to see literacy as the core of all
education. Teach a person to read and give them access to written
material and then the person can educate themselves.

Other core skills: critical and creative thinking, communication.

If we keep these in mind, it is easier to decide what to do about
things like "no child left behind".

Personally, I believe that these particular skills are not easily
taught in classrooms of 30 children.

We can pile on other specific skills like technology or waiting
tables, but personally, I would like my hypothetical children to have
a variety of skills. Some high level skills for the "good economic
times" and some low level skills that can help them make it through
any economic time.

-karen medina