[Peace-discuss] Does Liu Xiaobo Really Deserve the Peace Prize?

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Dec 13 13:21:03 CST 2010

I am not personally impressed by this Mr. Liu.
I dont much care for what he has to say and dont find it edifying.
I do of course support the right of people to say things that I dont
agree with.

Dr. Qiao says that some Chinese think that there is so much glory in
martyrdom that
they are willing to do stupid stuff to achieve it.  She is herself the
beneficent self-preservationist
type so I am not worried, nor excessively reflective about the statement.

Norway's politicians certainly support the war in Afghanistan.

Most Chinese will agree that censorship of the media in China is excessive.
There is however more freedom of speech than what might be imagined by some
Westerners.  But China is a polite society, still ancient in many ways,
and many aspects
are as much a part of the cultural memes as they are any overt actions
to squelch free speech.

But on the other hand it is fairly interesting what is permitted.
In the local book stores here I have noted anyone can buy Huckleberry
Finn, Joyce's Ulysses,
Burroughs, Orwell, Lewis Carroll, Salmon Rushdie, the Koran and the
Bible, Henry Miller,
"Lolita", even "My Secret Life"...   I saw several copies
of Ron Paul's books including "Revolution" and "End the Fed", and
a stack of Ginsburg's Howl.

Our family's selections are generally less racy and non-prurient fare
such as "Hop on Pop", "Call of the Wild",
"and to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street", "Adventures of Sherlock
Holmes",
and "Bootstrap Methods and their Application", and the like.

The thing that seems too obvious is the hypocrisy of bashing China for
its free speech violations
while vigourously pursuing Wikileaks' Assange.

One colleague lamented yesterday that the Nobel Prize used to mean
something.

I wanted to say "together we can make the Earth diatomaceous again", but
didnt.