[Peace-discuss] Commentary submitted to N-G

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 13 14:25:50 CST 2010

Even managers and executives of businesses and corporations "work". I think what David was referring to is what has been known as the "proletariat", those at the lowest ends of the wage scale, especially industrial workers, those that expend human energy with their hands rather more than with their minds or at computer terminals. Most in the categories you mention would not consider themselves "workers" in the Marxist sense.  (That may be part of our social problem.) But my original point was that it was somewhat simplistic to say that the increase in efficiency in the post WWII years was to be credited mostly to the "workers" in the more narrow sense. --mkb