[Peace-discuss] Chomsky's boycott

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 13 21:05:39 CST 2010

NOAM CHOMSKY: ...there are important tasks of education and organization that
have to be addressed seriously if US policies are to be shifted. They should
lead to actions focusing on specific short-term objectives: ending the savage
and criminal siege of Gaza; dismantling the illegal "Separation Wall," by now a
de facto annexation wall; withdrawing the IDF from the illegally annexed Golan
Heights and from the West Bank (including illegally annexed "Greater
Jerusalem"), which would, presumably, be followed by departure of most of
settlers, all of whom, including those in East and expanded Jerusalem, have been
transferred (and heavily subsidized) illegally, as Israel recognized as far back
as 1967; and of course ending all Israeli construction and other actions in the
occupied territories. Popular movements in the US should work to end any US
participation in these criminal activities, which would, effectively, end them.
That can be done, but only if a level of general understanding is reached that
far surpasses what exists today. That is not a very difficult task as compared
to many others that popular movements have confronted in the past, often with
some success. In fact, it pretty much amounts to insistence that we act in
conformity with domestic and international law, and that we adopt the "decent
respect to the opinions of mankind" called for in the Declaration of
Independence. Hardly a radical stance, or one that should be difficult to bring
to the general public, with enough effort. This by no means exhausts what should
be our concerns. Others include the desperate conditions of refugees outside of
Palestine, particularly in Lebanon. An immediate concern is to relieve these
conditions, though what we can do in this case is more limited. There is no
shortage of immediate tasks to be addressed.

QUESTION: What is your view of the current approaches of those opposing the
Occupation -- globally, as well as in the US? Where do you stand on BDS in its
various forms? Your position on BDS has, at times, been challenged by
anti-occupation activists. Has your position evolved over time? Is BDS more
appropriate in Europe than in the US? And, what other strategies and tactics do
you think people opposing the Occupation should focus on?

CHOMSKY: The most important tasks, I think, are those I just briefly sketched,
particularly in the US but also in Europe, where illusions are also widespread
and far-reaching. There are many familiar tactics and strategies as to how to
pursue these crucial objectives. They can also be supplemented by various forms
of direct action, such as what is now called "BDS," though that is only one of
many tactical options. Merely to mention one, demonstrations at corporate
headquarters, especially when coordinated in many countries, have sometimes been
quite effective. And there are many other choices familiar from many years of
activism.

As for what is now called BDS, my views are the same as when I was engaged in
these actions well before the BDS efforts crystallized, and I am unaware of any
challenge to them apart from inevitable disagreement on specific cases that are
unclear. BDS is a tactic, one of many, and not a doctrine of faith. Like other
tactics, particular implementations of BDS have to be evaluated by familiar
criteria. Crucial among them is the likely consequences for the victims. As
those seriously involved in anti-Indochina war activities will recall, the
Vietnamese strongly objected to Weathermen tactics, which were understandable in
the light of the horrendous atrocities but seriously misguided, predictably
strengthening support for state violence. The Vietnamese urged nonviolent
tactics that would help educate public opinion and increase popular opposition
to the wars, and didn't care whether protesters "feel good" about what they are
doing. Similar issues arise constantly, in the case of BDS as well. Some
implementations have been highly constructive, both in educating the public here
-- a primary consideration always -- and in raising the costs of participation
in ongoing crimes. Good examples are boycotting settlement products and US
corporations that are engaged in support for the occupation. Such actions both
impose costs and help educate the public here, by emphasizing what should be our
prime concern: our own major role in these criminal actions, which is what we
can hope to influence. It would be sensible to go far beyond: for example, to
join the appeal of Amnesty International for termination of all military aid to
Israel, which violates international law as AI observes, and domestic law as
well. Unfortunately, there have been other initiatives that were poorly
formulated and played directly into the hands of hardliners, who of course
welcome them. Again it is easy to identify examples. We should at least be able
to learn from ample experience, as well as to understand the reasons for these
different consequences.

Careful evaluation of tactical choices is sometimes disparaged as "lacking
principle." That is a serious error, another gift to hardline supporters of
violence and repression. It is the tactical choices that have direct human
consequences. Evaluating them is often difficult, and reasonable people may have
different judgments in particular cases, but the principle of selecting tactical
choices that help the victims and rejecting those that harm them should not be
controversial among people concerned about the Palestinians. And it should also
not be controversial that those who differ in particular judgments should be
able to unite in pursuing the common goals of helping the victims, and should
avoid the destructive tendencies that sometimes arise in popular movements to
try to impose a Party Line to which all must conform. Norman Finkelstein has
recently warned that BDS is sometimes taking on a cult-like character, another
tendency that has sometimes undermined popular movements. His warnings are apt.

Tactical priorities should be somewhat different in Europe and the US, because
of their different roles. The US stand is a decisive factor in implementing
Israel's policies, and therefore tactics here should aim to bring to the fore
the US role, which is what activists can hope to influence most effectively.
Tactics in Europe should be directed to what Europeans should know about and can
directly influence: their own role in perpetuating the crimes against
Palestinians...

http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20100726.htm