[Peace-discuss] Pls $upport JFP

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 11:14:08 CST 2010

Worth our $upport. --Jenifer

--- On Thu, 12/16/10, Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote:

Today, the Obama Administration will announce the results of its review of Afghanistan policy. It seems clear from press reports that peace talks to end the war will not be on the agenda.

We're working to change that. We're pursuing every opportunity to move the idea of peace talks to the center of public debate.

We thank you for contributing to our cause in the past. It's donations from members like you that make our work possible. But we need your help once again. Could you help us continue this work by making another financial contribution to Just Foreign Policy?

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
A few days ago, Gilles Dorronsoro of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace sent us an open letter addressed to President Obama from experts with decades of experience in Afghanistan. [1] In the letter, the experts argue that:
 - With Pakistan's active support for the Taliban, it is not realistic to bet on a military solution.

-  The Taliban's leadership has indicated its willingness to negotiate, and it is in our interests to talk to them.
The experts ask President Obama to "sanction and support a direct dialogue and negotiation with the Afghan Taliban leadership residing in Pakistan."

We're working to publicize this letter. We've included a link to it every day in the Just Foreign Policy News. This week, we published a blog post on the passing of Richard Holbrooke, calling for peace talks now, in which we highlighted the letter. This post has been read by thousands of Americans: among other places, it was on the front page of Huffington Post [2], and Truthout [3].

Can you help keep this work going with a contribution to JFP?

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
We're also pushing forward a peace and diplomacy agenda on other issues you care about. Just in the last few weeks, we've been on The Real News [4] pushing for real diplomacy with Iran, and on FAIR's Counterspin [5] talking about what the WikiLeaks cables have revealed about U.S. policy in Honduras following the coup last year.

Could you help us carry this work forward in the new year with a financial contribution to Just Foreign Policy?

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
Thanks for all you do to help bring about a more just U.S. foreign policy,

Robert Naiman, Megan Iorio, Sarah Burns and Chelsea Mozen

Just Foreign Policy