[Peace-discuss] End the war in Pakistan now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 17 18:09:54 CST 2010

The US asserts the CIA man was hastily withdrawn because his name was revealed -
as if any interested people in the ISI, the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Russian and
Chinese intelligence, etc. etc. - didn't know who he was!

A more accurate story may be given here:

    CIA top spy flees Pakistan over lawsuit
    Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:20PM

The US central intelligence agency (CIA) has been forced to call back its top
spy in Pakistan after he was accused of killing civilians in unauthorized drone
attacks.

This comes days after a Pakistani lawsuit designated the CIA station chief by
name, accusing him of killing civilians in missile strikes.

Kareem Kahn, a resident of the North Waziristan tribal district, filed an
official complaint with Islamabad police against CIA station chief Jonathan Bank
at the US Embassy in Islamabad on Monday.

The lawsuit has also named CIA Director Leon Panetta and US Defense Secretary
Robert Gates.

This is the first such case filed against a CIA official for the use of
non-UN-sanctioned drone attacks in Pakistan.

Khan's relatives were slain in an unauthorized US drone attack in the North
Waziristan tribal district in 2009.

"That drone attack killed my son, my brother and a local man. We are not
terrorists, we are common citizens," Khan told a news conference in Islamabad in
late November.

"According to Islamic law the punishment for blood is blood. If I have the
means, I will take revenge for this attack," he said.

"We need justice. We are innocent people."

Khan's lawyer Mirza Shehzad Akbar had previously said he would file a lawsuit in
Pakistan and, if necessary, one with the International Court of Justice based at
The Hague.

The CIA station chief in Islamabad runs the unmanned drone attacks which are
said to target militants in Pakistan's northwestern tribal belt.

Official figures show that most of the victims are civilians. The unauthorized
US drone attacks have drawn strong criticism from the Pakistani people and
officials.

In the latest developments, four non-UN-sanctioned US drone attacks killed at
least 26 people in the Khyber Agency tribal region.

The news that CIA has pulled its top spy out of Pakistan comes just a day after
the U-S announced its new Afghanistan-Pakistan war strategy review and also a
day after America's drone attacks expanded into a new region in Pakistan,
Kheybar Agency.

It is the second consecutive day that US drones target the same region.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people held anti-US protests in Islamabad over the past
days. The Protesters condemned non-UN-sanctioned US drone attacks on Pakistan's
tribal areas.

US drone strikes have killed 2,000 people in northwest Pakistan since 2004.
These airstrikes have intensified since US President Barack Obama took office in
2009.

Washington claims the attacks target militants but figures show most of the
victims are civilians.

Militant attacks, unsanctioned drone strikes and political unrest have claimed
the lives of over 4,000 people throughout Pakistan since 2007.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/155905.html