[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Re: End the war in Pakistan now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Dec 18 14:57:02 CST 2010

[What appears to have happened is that the CIA was about to be tried for murder
is the still semi-independent Pakistani judiciary, and to forestall that
possibility the US withdrew the CIA station chief, the object of the suit, and
made up a (derisorily transparent) lie to cover up. The USG is involved in a
tit-for-tat struggle control the Pakistani government. --CGE]

    Pakistan spy agency denies it exposed CIA chief
    By NAHAL TOOSI, Associated Press – 13 mins ago

ISLAMABAD – Pakistan's main spy agency denied Saturday it had unmasked the CIA's
station chief in Islamabad, and warned such allegations could damage its already
fragile counterterrorism alliance with the United States.
The CIA pulled its top spy out of Pakistan on Thursday amid death threats after
his name emerged publicly a few weeks ago from a Pakistani man threatening to
sue the CIA over the alleged deaths of his son and brother in a 2009 U.S.
missile strike. The attorney involved with the complaint said he learned the
name from Pakistani journalists.
But the station chief's outing has spurred questions whether Pakistan's spy
service might have leaked the information. Lawsuits filed last month in New York
City in connection with the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai, India, also may have
raised tensions by naming Pakistan's intelligence chief as a defendant.
The recall of the top American intelligence official in Pakistan comes at a
delicate time.
The White House over the past week released the results of a review of progress
in the war in neighboring Afghanistan. The report included the conclusion that
the existence of safe havens for militants on Pakistan's side of the border
remained a major obstacle to defeating the Taliban and al-Qaida.
Pakistan's assistance in clearing those militant hideouts — and providing
intelligence to help the U.S. pinpoint targets for its covert, drone-fired
missile strikes — is considered crucial. A breakdown in the relationship with
Pakistani intelligence could be a major blow to the U.S.
An official with Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence agency, its lead spy
agency and a powerful force in the country, said Saturday any suggestions it
outed the station chief were "a slur."
Such "unfounded stories can create differences between the two organizations,"
the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he is not cleared
to brief the media.
The U.S. lawsuits were filed last month, and the plaintiffs include relatives of
victims in the Mumbai attacks, which left 166 people and nine attackers dead.
The assault has been blamed on the Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba,
which is listed as a defendant in the suit.
But they also list the ISI and its chief, Gen. Ahmed Shuja Pasha. The suits
repeat long-standing allegations that the ISI "has long nurtured and used
international terrorist groups," including Lashkar.
"Defendant ISI provided critical planning, material support, control and
coordination of the attacks," the lawsuits allege in pursuing wrongful death and
additional claims against the ISI, Pasha and others.
The lawsuits claim at one point that a safe house in Pakistan used in connection
with the attacks was part of the ISI's "Karachi Project" — "an initiative by
which anti-Indian groups were tasked and/or supported by the ISI in a
surreptitious fashion to engage in acts of international terrorism."
Pakistan has denied any government agency was involved in the attacks in India,
its archrival with whom it has fought three wars since 1947. Islamabad has
detained seven suspects in the case, but their trials have stalled in the
country's slow-moving court system. India has convicted the sole surviving
gunman in the attack.
It's unclear how far the U.S. lawsuits will go or how quickly they will move,
but being named in such legal documents is an embarrassment to the ISI and Pasha.
"We are in the process of serving all defendants," James Kreindler, an attorney
representing the plaintiffs, wrote in an e-mail. "Most have been served, which
triggers their obligation to answer."
The Pakistani intelligence official said the CIA has not directly accused the
ISI of any wrongdoing in the revelation of the station chief's name.
The station chief in Islamabad operates as a virtual military commander in the
U.S. war against al-Qaida and other militant groups hidden along the
Pakistan-Afghanistan border. The chief runs the Predator drone program targeting
terrorists and handles some of the CIA's most urgent and sensitive tips.
He also collaborates closely with Pakistani intelligence. The alliance has led
to strikes on key militant leaders but has also been marred by spats between the
two agencies and ongoing suspicion that the ISI has not fully severed its ties
to the Afghan Taliban, which it supported before the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001.
During the first term of President George W. Bush's administration, Pakistan
almost expelled a previous CIA station chief in a dispute about intelligence
sharing.
Pakistanis involved in the threatened lawsuit over the missile strikes have held
rallies in Islamabad featuring posters bearing the CIA officer's name and urging
him to leave the country.
A number of Americans and other Westerners, including a Wall Street Journal
correspondent, have had to leave Pakistan or take extra precautions after their
names surfaced in press reports as possible spies for the CIA, Israel or India.
Some right-wing newspapers have even printed Westerners' addresses or claimed
they were Jewish in some articles.
___
Associated Press writer Adam Goldman in Washington contributed to this report.