[Peace-discuss] End the war in Pakistan (more)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 20 19:32:35 CST 2010

[As always with such things, you have to begin by asking, Who "released" this
story, and why now? - i.e., to what purpose? Why did Nixon kill Cambodians? Why
did the chicken cross the road? --CGE]

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Mon, December 20, 2010 -- 8:06 PM ET
-----

U.S. Seeks to Expand Ground Raids Into Pakistan Against Militants

Senior American military commanders in Afghanistan are
pushing for an expanded campaign of Special Operations ground
raids across the border into Pakistan's tribal areas, a risky
strategy reflecting the growing frustration with Pakistan's
efforts to root out militants there.

The proposal, described by American officials in Washington
and Afghanistan, would escalate military activities inside
Pakistan, where the movement of American forces has been
largely prohibited because of fears of provoking a backlash.

The plan has not yet been approved, but military and
political leaders say a renewed sense of urgency has taken
hold, as the deadline approaches for the Obama administration
to begin withdrawing its forces from Afghanistan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/world/asia/21intel.html?emc=na