[Peace-discuss] A Pakistani view of the US war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 20 21:07:26 CST 2010

State of Pak-US trust deficit
Published: December 21, 2010
A. R. Jerral

The Washington Post in a recent story has accused the Pakistan army of
“hampering the US Embassy operation”; the story is based on the leaked US
embassy cables sent to the State Department in 2009. This accusation is levelled
against Pakistan after almost a decade of our military cooperation in America’s
so-called war on terror. Irony is that in this war Pakistan has suffered more
casualties - dead and wounded - than the Americans and its western allies. Why
does this trust deficit linger on, no one is able to explain.

Pakistan went over to the American side in early 1950s and became active in
America’s anti-communist bloc. Our declared anti-Soviet political stance cost us
dearly in the UNO over the Kashmir issue, yet Pakistan steadfastly remained in
the American camp. But the US never came out clearly in support of Pakistan in
all its political problems in the region; Kashmir is a glaring example. During
General Zia’s rule Pakistan was the frontline state in America’s war against the
Soviet Union in Afghanistan. The perils that befell Pakistan are no secret. The
populace suffered drug menace, rise of gun culture resulting into the rise of
terrorism and economic depression. Since 2001, we are headlong into the war on
terror fighting for and on behalf of the US. These so-called terrorists are
undoubtedly America’s creation. They were collected from all over the world
against the Soviet troops and hailed as mujahideen and freedom fighters, and
were paid by the CIA. They were abandoned after the Russian defeat and having
lost their paymaster became available to anyone who had use for them and could
pay for their services; they became terrorists.

General (retd) Pervez Musharraf stood by President George Bush whole-heartedly
in his attack on Afghanistan. Since the fateful night when Pakistan was
confronted with the “either with us or against us” ultimatum, it is deeply
involved in USA’s war on terror. Even after nine years of active involvement in
this alliance against terrorism, Pakistan remains suspect of double cross.
Presently, we have leaders, who have given an open-ended permission to the
American troops to launch drone attacks inside the Pakistani territory.
President Asif Zardari, as described by Bob Woodward in his book titled Obama’s
Wars told the CIA “to aggressively attack Al-Qaeda leaders in his country.”
Zardari, reportedly, said: “Collateral damage worries you Americans. It does not
worry me.” Thus, Pakistan’s leaders in loyalty to the Americans have accepted
the killing of their own people willingly. What more can be offered in proof of
our ‘loyalty’?

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Opinions/Columns/21-Dec-2010/State-of-PakUS-trust-deficit