[Peace-discuss] 'Israeli War Crimes' signs to go on Metro buses

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 11:21:46 CST 2010

How annoying. It's particularly galling that their policy of excluding
"issue advocacy" makes an exception for ads on behalf of "specific
political candidates." Since CUMTD is a governmental body, this is
arguably an unconstitutional restriction on freedom of speech, to make
a space for one type of political advocacy while excluding others.

It might be amusing to test this policy by running a candidate for
some local office that would otherwise be uncontested, just to see if
that person can place an ad saying whatever he or she wants, so long
as it is followed by the text,

“Paid Political Advertisement. No CUMTD endorsement implied.”