[Peace-discuss] Which side are you on, Obama or Assange?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 29 23:09:09 CST 2010

Patrick Cockburn: The virtue of speaking truth to power

Opponents of Assange, like those of my father, downplay his revelations while
demanding his arrest for high crimes

Wednesday, 29 December 2010

One of the more satisfactory aspects of being a journalist is the discovery that
the powerful are hyper-sensitive to any revelation about their activities. The
degree of venom and hysteria expressed by the US government in attacking Julian
Assange and WikiLeaks reflects this acute sense of vulnerability.

My father, Claud Cockburn, discovered this in 1933 when he left The Times and
set up a radical newsletter called The Week, which was a sort of early precursor
of Private Eye. His calculation was that there was plenty of information freely
circulating in political and diplomatic circles that was hidden from the general
public...

As with WikiLeaks, much of the official criticism of my father's publication of
classified information in the 1930s was irrational. At one and the same time,
angry officials wrote that he was reliant on gossip and his stories were
inaccurate, but also that no effort was to be spared in discovering his sources.
Opponents of Mr Assange produce similarly contradictory arguments, downplaying
the importance of what he has revealed but simultaneously demanding his arrest
for high crimes.

There is something more at work here than political establishments trying to
protect their access to information as an instrument of authority. The true
origin of their rage seems to be the way in which the publication of classified
papers, whether they expose real secrets or not, undermines the ability of
political elites to present themselves as the all-powerful guardians of secret
knowledge essential to their country's well-being.

I am sorry my father died in 1981, long before his MI5 files were released. He
had always held that the saying that God was on the side of the big battalions
was propaganda put out by big battalion commanders to demoralise their
opponents. He would have been delighted that his guerrilla-publication had
provoked such rage within the government and so much effort uselessly expended
by the security services.

He might also have considered that today there is a certain justice in the US
government inadvertently providing so much information to the world at a time
when international media coverage of much of the globe is ebbing. Press, radio
and TV have all been punished financially by competition from the internet,
robbing them of the resources for foreign reporting. Suddenly WikiLeaks exposes
a myriad of stories from Argentina to Kyrgyzstan to Korea which the media would
have liked to write about.

WikiLeaks' publication of diplomatic cables and frontline military reports does
not disclose many real secrets, but this should not obscure the vast importance
of its revelations. It discloses to everybody, as my father had sought to do in
the 1930s, facts and opinions that were previously only known to a few. Over the
last six months its revelations have painted a unique picture of the world from
the American point of view at a moment when US political, economic and military
leadership is under stress as never before.

The embarrassment of the US government is not that it has lost any real secrets
but that it can no longer pretend that it does not know about the often criminal
actions of its own forces, or the unsavoury actions of its allies.

Full article at
<http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/patrick-cockburn-the-virtue-of-speaking-truth-to-power-2171018.html>.