[Peace-discuss] election day voting information

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:09:59 CST 2010

Polls opened at 6:00am and are open to 7:00pm.

Sample ballots are here:
http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/2010_Election_Information.html
Polling places are here:
https://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/polling_places.html

You are allowed to take notes into the polling booth, including a
sample ballot that you have already marked. You are allowed to have
physical assistance if you need it. If you have not moved since you
last voted, you are registered to vote; Illinois has open primaries,
so you can vote in any primary you want, provided that you have not
intervened in another party's primary in this election cycle (i.e.,
signed a nominating petition for a candidate in another primary.)

Regarding the Democratic primary, the following information may be
useful regarding contested races.

The following statewide races are contested: Governor, US Senate,
Lieutenant Governor, Comptroller, Treasurer. In addition, depending on
where you live, you may have a contested race for County Board or
Democratic precinct committeeman. The contested County Board districts
(more candidates running than slots) are 6 and 9. The contested
precinct committee slots are City of Champaign 10, City of Champaign
13, City of Champaign 22, City of Champaign 35, Cunningham 12,
Cunningham 23. The precinct committee people elect the party chair; a
fight is anticipated, which presumably accounts for the contested
races.

Governor's race:
the Chicago Tribune says the governor's race is a "dead heat," a
statistical tie. Dan Hynes has attacked Governor Quinn for releasing
prisoners. Quinn is endorsed by the Sierra Club; Hynes is endorsed by
the News-Gazette and State's Attorney Julia Rietz.

U.S. Senate:
Cheryle Jackson is endorsed by EMILY's list, the Chicago Defender, and
Lilly Ledbetter of (Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 fame.) She is
also endorsed by the Greater Chicago Caucus (greaterchicago.org),
which wrote:  "Greater Chicago Caucus is endorsing her because she is
the only anti-war candidate and the choice of conscience at this
moment. She scored the highest among all Democratic and Republican
candidates on issues and positions which peace and justice community
of Chicago cares for."

Alexi Giannoulias is endorsed by the Illinois AFL-CIO and the Sierra Club.

David Hoffman is endorsed by the News-Gazette.

Lieutenant Governor:

State Senator Terry Link is endorsed by the Illinois AFL-CIO.

State Representative Art Turner is endorsed by the Illinois Federation
of Teachers.

Comptroller:

David Miller is endorsed by AFSCME, SEIU, IEA, IFT, many other unions,
Citizen Action, and the Chicago Defender.

Treasurer:

Robin Kelly is endorsed by the Illinois AFL-CIO and the Sierra Club.

County Board: there are two contested Democratic primaries. The
following information is from the Champaign County Democratic Party:

Four candidates are running for two seats in the Democratic primary
for the Champaign County Board in District 6.

Michael Richards (countyboarddistrict6 at gmail.com)
Pattsi Petrie (pattsi2 at gmail.com)
Debby Auble (debbyauble1 at gmail.com)
Joshua (Josh) Hartke (jthartke713 at yahoo.com)

District 6 (VOTE FOR UP TO TWO CANDIDATES)

Mike Richards

In his two terms on the county board, Mike Richards has fought for
increased government accountability and

against wasteful spending. Mike also serves as Secretary of the
Champaign County Democratic Party. He is the current County Democratic
Party Secretary His work has led to endorsements from Rep. Naomi
Jakobsson, Dr. David Gill and current and former District 6 Board
members Tony Fabri, Trisha Avery and Matt Gladney. Mike ran against
Mark Shelden for County Clerk in 2006.

Focus on the Board

Fighting for Accountability at the Nursing Home

Mike fought on the Finance Committee to set up an independent audit to
investigate the County Nursing Home’s business practices.

Greening County Government

As vice-chair of the Facilities committee, Mike has pushed county
staff to apply for state and federal grants to retrofit county
buildings and make them more energy efficient. This will not only
lower the county’s carbon footprint, it will also save taxpayers money
on utility bills.

> Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?

Yes

> Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the Democratic caucus is in favor of?

Yes

Pattsi Petrie
As an urban planner, I can offer a great deal of expertise to board
decisions that will be coming up in the next two years, such as
sustainability for the county properties; plans for sustainability
throughout the county; enhancement of wind turbines, not only as a
means of energy generation, but also as economic development for the
farmers, but also various taxing bodies, and a means to preserve farm
land;  land use issues--land resource management plan; development of
greenways throughout the county; housing needs throughout the county;
economic development. As far as I have been able to research, there
has never been an urban planner as a member of the CB. In addition, I
have worked on a large number of community committees that have worked
on zoning, flooding, planning for the center city. Along with the fact
that I have taught urban planning courses and studios.

> Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?

Yes

> Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the Democratic caucus is in favor of?

Yes

sites.google.com/site/p2district6

DEBBY AUBLE

As your County Board member, I will ACTIVELY represent you at all
times. That's because I believe ACTION is what is needed most here and
now in county government. It's also what I'm good at. Let's face it
... some people are thinkers and some are doers. I aspire to be both.
Here are just a few of the issues I plan to address with informed
thought and leadership:
• equitable property assessments, whereby ALL property owners pay
their fair share; no less, no more.
• fair housing insuring all areas are accessible to anyone who has the
ability to pay and working to keep affordable housing through
preservation of existing modest housing stock and new development is
carefully planned for environmentally and economically sound standards
throughout the county.

• active sustainability, Leading and guiding constituents and the
county board in energy, natural resource, and monetary resource
conservation to help ensure Champaign Couny  remains sustainable and
affordable for all.

I've lived in the district for 26 years and I'm passionate about
enhancing our natural and business resources. Our district is
consistently one of the most over-assessed in the county. As I have in
past, I will continue to bring this to light and correct it. Each
year, I help hundreds of residents file assessment appeals for no fee.
I already work to change the system and if elected, I can make even
more affective improvements.

My professional and community track record:

* Broker/Owner Ward & Associates, Realtors, a local business
createdfor the CU community's specific needs (i.e. not a
franchise)
* Chair of Fair Housing Committee Champaign County of Realtors for 8 years

> Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?

Yes

> Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the Democratic caucus is in favor of?

Yes

JOSHUA HARTKE

Joshua Hartke is running for Champaign County Board to represent the
working home-owners of District 6.  Shifting the property tax burden
from small businesses and owner-occupied housing, onto the big box
stores and corporate interests in this county is one of his major
issues.  These big businesses and developers come into our community
and use up our farm ground, while taking out huge profits and leaving
us $9/hour jobs with no benefits.

We need to find a way to create a sales tax rebate or holiday for new
businesses, to help restart the engine of economic ingenuity.  These
are for startup businesses, so it will not cut into county revenue.
Rather it will provide more revenue after their startup holiday is
over and they can start paying sales tax.

He is also for fighting hard against the unwanted transportation
projects in our county, while finding ways to shift that money into
the needed infrastructure projects.  He also wants to fund video
cameras for every vehicle in the sheriff's department.

Josh is very committed to this community, and he asks for your support
in putting him on the county board so that he can go to work for you.

> Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?

Yes

> Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the Democratic caucus is in favor of?

Yes

Three candidates are running for two seats in the Democratic primary
for the Champaign County Board in District 9.

Chris Alix
Scott Bennett
James Quisenberry

District 9 (VOTE FOR UP TO TWO CANDIDATES)

Chris Alix

 I am running for Champaign County Board in order to ensure that
District 9 continues to have strong, committed representation and to
assist in maintaining the Democratic majority.  I have served on the
Urbana Community Development Commission, Plan Commission, and City
Council and the U & C Sanitary District Board, and would like to have
the opportunity to apply my experience and perspective to County-wide
issues.

Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?
2.  I intend to participate actively in the selection of the Board
Chair at the Caucus level.  I believe that a Chair should be selected
based on ability to lead, ability to build consensus, and a commitment
to work hard, attend meetings and dedicate himself or herself to the
job--qualities which recent Chairs have possessed.  I intend to
support the choice of the Caucus at the full Board level.

Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the
Democratic caucus is in favor of?
3.  There has recently been discussion about changing the way the
district map is drawn (e.g., going to a citizen commission or an
automated approach).  Assuming that the Democratic caucus draws the
next map, I expect the process to be fair and open and involve input
from all caucus members, and I expect to support the preferences of
the Caucus at the full Board level.

Scott Bennett

This is my first time as a candidate, but I have been active in
Democratic politics for years.  In 2003, my wife and I left our jobs
and moved to Washington, DC, where I worked for the Democratic
National Committee and the John Kerry presidential campaign of 2004.

After returning to Illinois in 2005, I resumed my job as a prosecutor,
and tried dozens of jury trials during my three years as a felony
criminal prosecutor and the Traffic/DUI supervisor for the McLean
County State's Attorney's Office in Bloomington, Illinois. In 2007, I
was honored with the “Hero of the Highway” Award, presented by Mothers
Against Drunk Drivers (MADD).  Currently, I work for a trial law firm
in downtown Urbana.  I also live in Urbana with my wife, Stacy, an
employee of the University of Illinois.

One of the main reasons that I am running for the Champaign County
Board is my experience as a prosecutor and private attorney.   In next
year's budget, nearly 2/3 of the County's general corporate fund will
go toward courthouse operations and law enforcement.   I hope that my
experience will help the Board make efficient and effective use of
these funds.   I will also use my network of dozens of courthouses
across the state to ensure that, with each large expenditure, there
isn't a more efficient alternative that we haven't first considered.

Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?
Yes

Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the
Democratic caucus is in favor of?
Yes

James P. Quisenberry,

I am a 20-year resident of Champaign County and I live in SE Urbana
with my wife, Jill, and seven-year-old son, Will. I currently work at
the University of Illinois where I have managed the information
technology team at University Housing since 2007. Prior to 2007 I
spent 18 years developing and operating online education products,
first at the U of I PLATO project and then in the private sector.
Although IT has been at the core of my career, I have significant
experience in organization and strategic planning, facilities
management, and responsibility for large budgets up to $12 million.
Along with the expected personnel management in these responsibilities
I have negotiated and managed many large scale vendor contracts for
services and systems.

My public service track record in the community includes 8 years on
the Urbana Free Library Board of Trustees, six years on the Lincoln
Trail Library System Board of Directors, including two years as
president, and participation on two state-wide committees for the
Illinois State Library under the Secretary of State's office.  My
support of community non-profits include active leadership in the
Urbana Rotary Club, serving as president of the Orpheum Children's
Science Museum Board, and chairing the Master Grant selection
committee for the CU Schools Foundation.

My interest in serving on the Champaign County Board comes from a deep
rooted belief in public service and a confidence that my experience
and demeanor will contribute to meeting the challenges before the
board.

Will you vote for the Democratic caucus' candidate  for Board Chairman?
Will you vote for the redistricting plan that a majority of the
Democratic caucus is in favor of?
If elected I will be an active member of the County Board Democratic
Caucus and support our decisions in matters of electing board chair
and approving a new district map.
-----------

Contested Precincts:

City of Champaign 10: