[Peace-discuss] Jokers to the right, maybe, but where are the clowns?

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 17:04:47 CST 2010

On the subject of the Tea Party and its racial overtones, see

http://www.truthout.org/white-racial-resentment-bubbles-under-surface-tea-party-movement56709

One commenter of this article asks:

Is there much difference between the Tea Party and the John Birch Society? There's nothing new here. It's rural versus urban.... I remember it all from growing up in rural Michigan in the 1950's. Southern? I don't think so. It's too easy to brand white southerners as the only racists in America. Remember, Timothy McVey was from Michigan. The Grand Dragon of the Klu Klux Klan was from a neighboring Michigan town in the 1960's. This is the racist fringe of Libertarianism.

I wonder how Carl et al. feel about joining  the chorus of Tea Party guests and advocates like
Tom Tancredo, Glenn Beck, and Sarah Palin, all notable at their convention in Nashville? Carl and people like Cockburn seem to relish them, since they clearly make the Dems and the Left uncomfortable and/or fearful.

--mkb

On Feb 6, 2010, at 4:18 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> 	Clowns to the left of me!
> 	Jokers to the right!
> 	Here I am stuck in the middle with you.
>
> 	Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
> 	and I'm wondering what it is I should do.
> 	Its so hard to keep this smile from my face.
> 	Losing control yeah I'm all over the place.
>
> [The Tea party movement - a crazy quilt of new growth forest, weeds, and Astroturf - is growing up outside the limits of allowable debate policed by the Republicans and Democrats, causing them some anxiety.  They know the interests they defend have less and less support among Americans.
>
> But where is the escape from those limits on the left?
>
> As all recent presidents have, Obama advertised to his masters - American elites - in the Mendacity of Hope that he could successfully occlude the contradiction between the goals of that small group and the mass of Americans ("Bring us together again!") and his principal - perhaps his only - success so far has been the co-option of the anti-war movement.
>
> Perhaps the Tea-partiers will gives an example - and maybe even the moxie - to get it together again.]
>

> 	Republicans seek 'Tea Party' allies
>

> The Tea Party political movement in the United States has been gaining momentum since early last year by appealing to conservative Americans who want lower taxes and smaller government.
>
> Thousands of people are attending the first Tea Party convention in Nashville, Tennessee. And its something the Republican Party has taken a keen interest in.
>

> http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/02/201026182135711755.html
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.