[Peace-discuss] a friend: Haiti's problem is overpopulation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 7 14:00:22 CST 2010

"A dinner party is not the revolution."

(That's what a friend of mine calls "quoting from memory.")

I would guess that your friends, who probably consider themselves well-informed,
have not in fact read Chomsky or Zinn. But the manufacture of consent in America
requires a certain repressive tolerance. The information is there if you want to
look for it.  --CGE

John W. wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Karen Medina <kmedina67 at gmail.com
> <mailto:kmedina67 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> At a dinner party last week, we were briefly discussing Haiti.
>
> A friend said that Haiti's poverty problem is due to overpopulation, that
> their Catholicism kept them from using birth control, and that if they used
> birth control it would be the biggest help to solving their poverty problem.
>
> How terribly uninformed can people be? Even MY FRIENDS are saying things like
> this. I was shocked.
>
> For starters, as far as I know, Haiti is not a Catholic country. Voodoo and
> Protestantism seem more prevalent than Catholicism. For instance, United
> Methodists have a mission in Haiti and they are just one among hundreds
> probably.
>
> How do YOU deal with people like this?
>
> -- karen medina
>

> Hmmm....
>
> Quote Noam Chomsky to 'em?
>
> Refer 'em to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States"?
>
> Avoid bourgeois dinner parties?  ;-)

believed to be clean.