[Peace-discuss] a friend: Haiti's problem is overpopulation

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 21:11:21 CST 2010

Folks,According to Wikipedia, 80-85% of the population in Haiti is Roman Catholichttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Haiti
Lots of info (and opinion) on the issue by googling birth control Haiti, but here's one example from the Tacoma Times under the headline:HAITI: Country Badly Needs Birth Control"The recent tragedy in Haiti certainly deserves our sympathy. However, in all the news coverage and analyses of Haiti, no one has even dared to mention the underlying big problem: overpopulation. The country is too small and not productive enough to support nine million-plus people and could not survive on its own without all the long-term aid given by well-meaning organizations all over the world.The 200,000 killed in the recent earthquake will be replaced in just a few years.Haiti must get its population under control and overcome its misguided historical influences. There are many others in the world also in this situation. By providing and sustaining aid, there is no incentive to practice population control, because the more children there are, the more Haiti will benefit.A
 Los Angeles Times story (TNT, 1-25) quotes a 21-year-old woman who has six children! Haiti’s problem is that it has an extremely high birth rate, fostered by the Catholic Church and the Bush administration’s ban on any birth control information in the past decade. Nine million people on 27,000 square miles of depleted and eroded land, a density of about 1,000 people per square mile is too many. Washington’s density is 97, and Oregon’s 39.Along with food and water, the thousands of charitable organizations now in Haiti should also be educating and encouraging birth control. This would help that country immensely."The whole article is at    www.thenewstribune.com/468/story/1043981.html?storylink=omni_popularAnd of course you'll also find sneering entries slamming Planned Parenthood for trying to help... --Jenifer