[Peace-discuss] P.S.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 8 00:16:46 CST 2010

Look, I agree with that entirely.

I want change, but I don't want to pay for it, even though I'm privileged and
comfortable.  But I don't belong to that tiny fraction of the population that
has amassed wealth beyond the dreams of avarice since the neo-liberal
counter-revolution 30 years ago. (And the concentration continues, at an
ever-accelerating pace.)  I want to redistribute that wealth, as everyone from
the pope to the World Social Forum knows is necessary.

Look at the statistics on the concentration of wealth, in the US and the world,
in recent years. That's why I say we shouldn't tax income beyond the current
rate (a low flat tax on income would be better) but tax *wealth* -
progressively, in a way that produces redistribution 'downward.'  --CGE

John W. wrote:
> ... The "thinking" of the masses is perfectly summed up by this statement by
> a black woman of my acquaintance in Chicago during the Obama campaign: "I
> want change, but I don't want to PAY for it!"  She was dead serious, and so
> are all of her fellow travelers whether they admit it aloud or not...

believed to be clean.