[Peace-discuss] a friend: Haiti's problem is overpopulation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 8 16:11:04 CST 2010

The article is racist, bordering on the genocidal, as becomes obvious when put
in another context, such as Israel-Gaza.

It does fit rather neatly into the strong American eugenic tradition, with its
"concern [as Justice Ginsburg says] about population growth and particularly
growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."

Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
> I don't see anything in the article that anyone could disagree with. Can you
> explain what creeps you out?? Having 6 kids at age 21 would be beyond creepy
> for me. --Jenifer
>
> --- On *Mon, 2/8/10, Karen Medina /<kmedina67 at gmail.com>/* wrote:
>

> From: Karen Medina <kmedina67 at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] a
> friend: Haiti's problem is overpopulation To: "Peace-discuss List"
> <Peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 1:44 PM
>
> I think the article is creepy. Thanks for sharing it. I wish you did not
> agree with the article, Jenifer.
>
> -karen medina
>

> here's one example from the Tacoma Times under the headline: HAITI: Country
> Badly Needs Birth Control
>
> "The recent tragedy in Haiti certainly deserves our sympathy. However, in all
> the news coverage and analyses of Haiti, no one has even dared to mention the
> underlying big problem: overpopulation.
>
> The country is too small and not productive enough to support nine
> million-plus people and could not survive on its own without all the
> long-term aid given by well-meaning organizations all over the world.
>
> The 200,000 killed in the recent earthquake will be replaced in just a few
> years.
>
> Haiti must get its population under control and overcome its misguided
> historical influences. There are many others in the world also in this
> situation. By providing and sustaining aid, there is no incentive to practice
> population control, because the more children there are, the more Haiti will
> benefit.
>
> A Los Angeles Times story (TNT, 1-25) quotes a 21-year-old woman who has six
> children! Haiti’s problem is that it has an extremely high birth rate,
> fostered by the Catholic Church and the Bush administration’s ban on any
> birth control information in the past decade. Nine million people on 27,000
> square miles of depleted and eroded land, a density of about 1,000 people per
>  square mile is too many. Washington’s density is 97, and Oregon’s 39.
>
> Along with food and water, the thousands of charitable organizations now in
> Haiti should also be educating and encouraging birth control. This would help
> that country immensely."
>
> The whole article is at
> www.thenewstribune.com/468/story/1043981.html?storylink=omni_popular
> <http://www.thenewstribune.com/468/story/1043981.html?storylink=omni_popular>
>

> And of course you'll also find sneering entries slamming Planned Parenthood
> for trying to help... --Jenifer

believed to be clean.