[Peace-discuss] Obama luvs business

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 11 11:41:55 CST 2010

 From <http://doughenwood.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/obama-luvs-business/>:

More nuggets from Obama’s interview with the freshly renamed Bloomberg
BusinessWeek, now under new management.

     "The irony is, is that on the left we are perceived as being in the pockets
of big business; and then on the business side, we are perceived as being
anti-business…. You would be hard-pressed to identify a piece of legislation
that we have proposed out there that, net, is not good for businesses…. We are
pro-growth. We are fierce advocates for a thriving, dynamic free market."

Some scene-setting from the piece:

     "As Obama defended himself against charges he is isolated from business, a
number of CEOs sat outside in the West Wing lobby: General Electric Co.’s
Jeffrey Immelt and Honeywell International Inc.’s David Cote were among those
waiting for a meeting with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and energy
coordinator Carol Browner to discuss climate-change policy."

In a separate story, Bloomberg reports that the CEO that Obama most admires is
Frederick Smith of FedEx. Smith is a fiendishly anti-union Republican who served
as John McCain’s finance chair, and is an old Skull & Bones pal of George W. Bush.

FDR said, maybe not entirely honestly, of the American rich, “I welcome their
hatred.” Obama will do or say anything so that they’ll return his love—which,
despite all his efforts, isn’t yet forthcoming.

believed to be clean.