[Peace-discuss] Principled opposition to US attacks

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 15 08:30:03 CST 2010

[From the libertarian website Antiwar.com. Principled opposition in the US is
unfortunately  almost entirely confined to the old Right and the real Left -
liberals, including almost all those from both the Republicans and the
Democrats, are notable by their absence. --CGE]

[...]

In reading the New York Times‘ account of the great American armada as it
descends on Helmand province, in Afghanistan, the latest "surge" of American
military might through Central Asia, I am struck by the repetitiveness of the
whole operation: it recalls all the large-scale military disasters of the past,
from the Spanish Armada to Napoleon’s invasion of Russia, to the
counterinsurgency strategy we tried in Vietnam, right up to the supposedly
concluded invasion of Iraq, the alleged success of which the Obama
administration is now bizarrely taking "credit" for. I hear the same
grandiosity, expressed with the same eerie confidence: "We’ve got a government
in a box, ready to roll in," avers Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the US commander in
Afghanistan and the architect of the new counterinsurgency strategy, which is
"clear, hold, and build."

[...]

Imagine if a foreign country invaded and conquered the United States. The
occupation forces set up a "government" run by the American equivalent of Hamid
Karzai – say, Rod Blagojevich. And the generals and politicians of the occupying
country get together for a strategic powwow and decide that the best way to
pacify those obstreperous Americans is to buy them off. "Just give them a
regular paycheck," says one General, "and they’ll think twice about resisting."

[...]

This war is but the beginning of a series of wars, which started in Iraq and are
now proceeding across the face of Central Asia, heading for Pakistan – and Iran.
The War Party isn’t through with us quite yet – not by a long shot...

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2010/02/14/an-antiwar-credo/

believed to be clean.