[Peace-discuss] Hysteria over tea-partiers

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 20 16:40:58 CST 2010

[Doug Henwood of Left Business Observer seems to me to have it just right here.
  All those Republicans and Democrats who check under the bed each night for
tea-partiers do have something to worry about - an aroused public, who might
realize that their interests are not only different from but diametrically
opposed to those of the American elite, for whom both parties toil. --CGE]

Doug Henwood: I'm still mystified by the curiosity about - I'm deliberately not
saying obsession with - the risks of incipient fascism in the U.S. I have two
questions I'd love some clarification on:

1) How is today's threat a significant departure from more than a century of
American political violence? To say that the Klan is some kind of incipient
fascist movement is to drain the term of any specific meaning. But over the last
100-150 years, we've had savage repression of labor through public and private
means, like national guard units, cops, and Pinkertons. We had lynching. We had
serious suppression of civil liberties during and just after World War I. The
Panthers were essentially wiped out with death squads. I can understand why
mainstream liberals don't want to admit that U.S. history is full of repressive
crimes, and want to see George W. Bush or Sarah Palin as some kind of scary
departures, but that doesn't characterize [intelligent liberals], does it?

2) Why should we worry more about the fascist threat than some real, imminent
dangers like (a) a turn to fiscal and monetary tightening (Obama's deficit
commission, which could give him cover to cut Medicare and SS; the Fed's
signaling that it's ready to begin withdrawing its extraordinary stimulus) that
could sink us back into recession; (b) Obama's friendliness towards offshore
drilling and nuclear power; (c) the incapacity of the U.S. political system to
do anything at all about climate change, even something as corp-friendly as c&t;
(d) escalation in Afghanistan, and with it an enormous increase in civilian
deaths; and (e) tightening the screws on Iran, possibly leading to some sort of
utterly mad military strike. These are all initiatives either led or supported
by a Democrat president and Congress, not some scary possibilities that some
possible future Republican president and/or Congress could perpetrate. Doesn't
all the worrying distract from those realities?

	###

believed to be clean.