[Peace-discuss] The Nation betrayed

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 21 12:19:36 CST 2010

Carl digs into an inconsistent past to find confirmation of his statements. My sense is that The Nation has not changed, and I've been reading it for some time, often not happily; if anything it has become more critical of the Obama administration, although not critical enough in my opinion. It cut down Cockburn's contributions some time ago, perhaps not unrelated to his quirkiness. As for The Progressive, I can't believe that Carl has looked there lately. The Finkelstein affair stunk, but was some time ago, and I know that Rothschild regrets what happened. As far as "leftishness" is concerned, it has been more so than The Nation. Zinn wrote for The Progressive just before he died.

Simply to set the record straight from my observations.

--mkb

On Feb 21, 2010, at 11:16 AM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> The Nation magazine has moved steadily to "the center" from an earlier left-liberal position for some years now. They embraced neo-liberalism in the days of Bill Clinton (delicately referred to as a "DLC Democrat"), and some of us condemned them for doing it.
>
> But it keeps getting worse. As Doug Henwood of the excellent Left Business Observer points out, now not only has The Nation "given a column to the execrable Melissa Harris-Lacewell, they've cut Alexander Cockburn back to once a month ... These moves together have the net effect of moving the magazine to the right and reducing the quantity of stylish prose close to zero."
>
> With The Progressive joining the Israel Lobby in its condemnation of Norman Finkelstein, the current mode of official liberalism in the US continues on its regime-supporting way, providing only token opposition ("We have free speech!") as the Democrats (and the Republicans) move ever further right.  Toadies.
>
> --CGE
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.