[Peace-discuss] The Nation betrayed

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 21 15:35:21 CST 2010

The historian Jesse Lemisch has just commented as follows on Henwood's list:

"Doug is completely right. The Nation has succeeded in finding a black woman
who sounds just like Katha Pollitt and Todd Gitlin, continuing to lead
people down the bad road of Obamaism.

"And The Nation's back of the book has long been inferior to the the b-o-b of
the otherwise hideous New Republic."

I agree on both points. --CGE

C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> That's Henwood's word, but I agree.
> Have you read what she's written and think we're wrong?  --CGE
>

> John W. wrote:
>> So now Melissa Harris-Lacewell is "execrable", Carl?  I daresay
>> reasonable
>> minds might disagree.
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM, C. G. Estabrook
>> <galliher at illinois.edu <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu>> wrote:
>>

>> The Nation magazine has moved steadily to "the center" from an earlier
>> left-liberal position for some years now. They embraced neo-liberalism
>> in the
>> days of Bill Clinton (delicately referred to as a "DLC Democrat"), and
>> some
>> of us condemned them for doing it.
>>
>> But it keeps getting worse. As Doug Henwood of the excellent Left
>> Business
>> Observer points out, now not only has The Nation "given a column to the
>> execrable Melissa Harris-Lacewell, they've cut Alexander Cockburn back to
>> once a month ... These moves together have the net effect of moving the
>> magazine to the right and reducing the quantity of stylish prose close to
>> zero."
>>
>> With The Progressive joining the Israel Lobby in its condemnation of
>> Norman
>> Finkelstein, the current mode of official liberalism in the US
>> continues on
>> its regime-supporting way, providing only token opposition ("We have free
>> speech!") as the Democrats (and the Republicans) move ever further right.
>> Toadies.
>>
>> --CGE

believed to be clean.