[Peace-discuss] Pls $upport ColorOfChange if you can

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 12:58:43 CST 2010

Friends,Pls read(below) and consider $upporting the excellent work of ColorOfChange. Thanks. --Jenifer
--- On Wed, 2/17/10, James Rucker, ColorOfChange.org <no-reply at colorofchange.org> wrote:
#yiv39668344 , #yiv39668344 td, #yiv39668344 font {font-size:10pt;}
#yiv39668344
#yiv39668344 td p {margin:0em;}
#yiv39668344 p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv39668344 td div p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv39668344
#yiv39668344 .X0uMP p {margin:1em 0;}

Dear Jenifer,
The past year was eventful and challenging, with ColorOfChange members engaged and making a difference. We witnessed and played a role in the inauguration of the United States' first Black president and the long-awaited resolution of the Jena Six saga. And we've been faced with an emboldened right-wing voice that plays on race-based fears against the backdrop of a weak economy.
We're excited about taking on the fights ahead. But before we do, we'd like to know — from you — how we're doing and what you believe should be our priorities.
Can you take a moment to complete our member survey, and help plot our course over the coming months? It'll just take a minute!
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/survey2010?id=2143-1141418&akid=1349.394109.XorFlM&t=2
You've helped ColorOfChange become one of the United States' most effective movements for Black folks and our allies. Here are some of the highlights since our last member survey:

More than 100,000 ColorOfChange members spoke up after News Corporation's New York Post ran a political cartoon that appeared to depict President Obama as a chimpanzee who had just been shot dead by police. After the threat of escalation that would have meant a public confrontation, Rupert Murdoch, CEO  of NewsCorp, was forced to take responsibility and issued an apology — a rare admission of wrongdoing.1 Your speaking out also helped shine a light on apparent ongoing discrimination at the Post, and now former employees have started to speak out about racist and sexist patterns there.2,3

More than 285,000 people from all walks of life rejected Glenn Beck's race-baiting and asked advertisers to distance themselves from his program. It's worked better than any of us could have expected, with more than 80 advertisers abandoning his show on Fox News Channel. Advertisers have continued to stay away in the New Year, and we're watching to make sure they don't come back. We've achieved a public rebuke on a scale rarely seen, and helped to push Beck's voice further to the margins of public discourse — where it belongs.4

The young men who became known as the Jena Six finally had a just resolution to their three-year ordeal. Originally charged with attempted murder for a fight with a White classmate, the remaining five members of the Jena Six pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges. As a result, they are now serving unsupervised probation and paid minor fines and court costs. With their futures in their own hands, they are now free to make of their lives what they choose — and it could not have happened without the herculean efforts of more than 320,000 ColorOfChange members who stood up to protect them against Jim Crow justice. Our staff helped recruit a team of lawyers who worked tirelessly on the young men's behalf, and your financial contributions — over $275,000 — provided the bulk of the funds for the attorneys' work.

 After 65 children were prevented from swimming at Valley Swim Club for fear that they would change the private facility's "complexion," more than 90,000 ColorOfChange.org members called on the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate. Within a few short weeks, the DOJ launched an investigation and last month filed a lawsuit against the club.5 The swim club was forced to shut down last year as a result of financial pressures stemming from a class action lawsuit and official investigations into the club's behavior.

ColorOfChange.org joined the chorus of voices calling for Lou Dobbs' ouster at CNN. The commentator had used his platform to legitimize bogus questions about President Obama's citizenship and to stoke hatred of Latino immigrants. Dobbs was forced to resign from CNN in November.6

Through it all, you and more than half a million others have been there to stand for justice and progress. Together, we've had a huge impact on politics, the media, and the lives of everyday Americans. We need your help and guidance as we strategize for 2010. Please take a moment to complete our member survey — just a few minutes of your time will help us serve you and the rest of the ColorOfChange community:
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/survey2010?id=2143-1141418&akid=1349.394109.XorFlM&t=4
Thanks and Peace,

-- James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Milton and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
   February 17th, 2010
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU — your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/5?akid=1349.394109.XorFlM&t=6