[Peace-discuss] The Nation betrayed

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 22 22:22:40 CST 2010

For once I almost agree with you, John. There are however, two problems:

   (1) was set out by J. M. Keynes in the 1930s.

"The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right
and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed
the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be
quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some
defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are
distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back."

That's what the Berubes of this world live in hope of.

   (2) is deducible from the one great contribution of the American 20th century
to modernity: propaganda/PR.  Even something as full of historical ignorance and
furry self-congratulation as the passage quoted may have some effect on the
tertiary bourgeoisie (= those able to afford a 'good education' after secondary
school), especially if it escapes into the public press via organs such as
The Nation.  Of course you have to be highly educated to believe such tripe, so
hoi polloi is insulated from it (which is why they are so hated and feared by
said t. b.).

David is right that it has to be exposed and destroyed by sweet reason.  --CGE

believed to be clean.