[Peace-discuss] Fear renders men…stupid and miserable…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 2 20:52:03 CST 2010

Although the commentator's penultimate paragraph is accurate, her/his account of
the "Middle Ages," common as it is, is as intellectually respectable (if not so
sophisticated) as a belief in phlogiston.  This sort of ignorance is pervasive
among the college-educated political class of the US; as Chomsky says, you have
to be highly educated to believe stuff like that. A proper corrective would be
to read some actual history - or even basic works like the Communist Manifesto.

It's certainly true that fear has been a political motivator particularly in the
US.  A society founded on two of the greatest crimes in human history - the
extinction of the native Americans and the enslavement of native Africans - has
a lot to be afraid of, perhaps principally its own conscience, if not the
revenge of the victims. But the fear of just retribution expands in the last
fifty years as America's victims come to include much of the world.

In their supreme cynicism, that fear has been mobilized by the American elite.
The post-WWII domestic policy of the USG is encapsulated in the advice of
Michigan Senator Arthur Vandenberg to President Truman, that he "scare the hell
out of the American people," in order to get his imperialist policies accepted -
policies necessitated by the fact that only WWII had cured the Depression, and
the end of the war seemed to mean the return of the Depression.

Luckily for our rulers, the new bete noire, terrorism, was conjured within a
decade of the disappearance of its predecessor, communism.  --CGE