[Peace-discuss] Fear renders men…stupid and miserable…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 3 16:57:52 CST 2010

Mort--

The subject is the conventional but tendentious account of the rise of
capitalist (aka bourgeois, liberal) society - simply assumed by the writer of
the comment (a guy?) - sometimes called the "Whig interpretation of history."
Chomsky has shown himself remarkably free of conventional accounts of history
(in re e.g. the Hebrew prophets and 17th c. Rationalists), especially those that
are employed to show the virtues of the capitalist order.  As he says, one has
to be highly educated to believe such things (as the commentator clearly is).
You yourself have recently posted to this list views on Christianity from
Chomsky (an atheist) that are nevertheless far from the liberal paradigm ("The
Legacy of 1989").

Whiggishness characterizes accounts from Fukuyama's "End of History" to courses
in "Western Civilization" (about which Chomsky is fond of quoting Gandhi: "It
would be a good idea").  And a staple of Whiggishness is that, with the coming
of capitalism, humanity has moved from a millennium of benighted religiosity to
five hundred years of clear scientific rationally.  (The 500 years before that
1500 is a bit of a problem, but since no one learns Latin any more, it can be
safely ignored).

To take your examples - those cathedrals "magnificent as art and architecture"
(but not magnificent apparently in some other way?) were not designed "to bring
forth the support of multitudes" as much as they were the work of those
multitudes - communes, originally monastic, then urban; they were often the
result of regional rivalries - the modern equivalent would be regional football
teams.

They were not "icons of feudalism," because ecclesiastical institutions were
opposed to feudalism - hence the great political struggle of the Middle Ages,
the Investiture Controversy.  (The opposition to feudalism gave medieval
Catholicism some of its characteristic institutions, like clerical celibacy):
see "Sex and power in Catholicism," <www.counterpunch.org/estabrook0420.html>.

Nor were they "built largely on the donations of royalty and the merchant
class": feudalism as a polity was opposed to "royalty" (see Perry Anderson,
Lineages of the Absolutist State) and the merchant class hardly existed before
the collapse of the medieval mode of production in the 14th century, by which
time the great age of cathedral building was over.

Nor did "exalted power and wealth at the expense of the vast poor and laboring
classes" characterize the ruling class of the European Middle Ages but that of
the next period.  (As the author of the Manifesto understood.) The rise of the
modern world (i.e., capitalism) depends on "free labor" - i.e., the confiscation
of the right to life and the use of productive property that was general in the
Middle Ages, and the subjection of labor to the wage contract, "the equal
exchange between free agents which reproduces, hourly and daily, inequality and
oppression."

I'm not sure how you know that "an important motivation for ... contributions
[to cathedral building] was to exonerate themselves of their 'sins' [sic] and to
win a place in Heaven," but one can find statements to that effect from late
medieval and Renaissance grandees, particularly in Italy, from about the
fifteenth century -- once the modern age had dawned.  Such attitudes, like the
witch-craze, is a phenomenon of the European Renaissance, not the Middle Ages.
(One of the best accounts remains John Bossy's Christianity in the West
1400-1700.)  Your evocation of judgment day in art seems to refer primarily to
the danse macabre, a late-medieval (i.e., after the 14th century collapse) theme
that was directed primarily against the new (post-feudal) exploiters - an
insistence on equality before the law of God.

As you say, "This is not at all to say that religion [by which you seem to mean
medieval Christianity] has only been an agency of fear."  But that's the burden
of the commentator's crude caricature - which has nothing to do with the Middle
Ages but a great deal to do with ahistorical anti-Catholicism - the
anti-semitism of the intellectual, as has been said. The motive for a statement
has nothing necessarily to do with its truth, but in this case the commentator
simply doesn't know what s/he's talking about.

Regards, CGE

	###