[Peace-discuss] Fear renders men…stupid and miserable…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 4 10:23:37 CST 2010

The issue is the history that "everybody knows" - which turns out to be a story
justifying modern social arrangements (Whig history) by programmatically
misreading what went before - including the role of religion (read Christianity)
in the history of Europe. E.g., "fear" was not the motive for a thousand years
of European history; it has in fact played a far large role in ruling class
manipulation of the US. (And incidentally one cannot simply read back the class
relations of the modern world into those of the Middle Ages: that was a point if
not the point of Marx' work.) Drawing political lessons from the Avignonese
papacy or the indulgence controversy (a sidelight of the Reformation) depends on
knowing what these were; but Whiggism doesn't find that necessary.  --CGE