[Peace-discuss] Can Cheryle Jackson End the War in Afghanistan?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:49:55 CST 2010

Add Illinois to Pennsylvania as states where there is a contested
Senate primary in which the war in Afghanistan has become an issue.
The Chicago Tribune reports that the two leading contenders for the
Democratic nomination for Barack Obama's former seat in the Senate
have staked out diametrically opposed positions. A Tribune poll last
month reported that Alexi Giannoulias and Cheryle Jackson were the
leading contenders for the Democratic nomination.

On Afghanistan, the Tribune reports that Cheryle Jackson wants to end
the war, while Giannoulias supports it:

"It is time to take care of America again and time to bring our troops
home," said Democratic Senate contender Cheryle Jackson, a former
president of the Chicago Urban League. "Until we stop spending
hundreds of billions on wars, we will not have the focus or money to
solve the challenges we face at home."
[...]
But first-term state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, a Democrat, said he
fully supported Obama's strategy for Afghanistan and indicated that
those who oppose it are engaging in wishful thinking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/can-cheryle-jackson-end-t_b_420076.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/12/824268/-Can-Cheryle-Jackson-End-the-War-in-Afghanistan

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/446

--