[Peace-discuss] 19th anniversary

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 12 22:02:56 CST 2010

On this day in 1991 Congress voted to authorize the use of military force to
drive Iraq out of Kuwait.  Iraq had been led to believe it had US authorization
to move against Kuwait, and when the US objected publicly, Iraq proposed an
international conference to solve Mideast boundary problems.

The Bush (I) administration rejected the offer to negotiate and went to war as
quickly as possible, afraid that Iraq would withdraw and leaving a puppet
government in place (as the US had recently done after its invasion of Panama),
thus depriving the US of its excuse for war.

At least one person celebrated the anniversary with the perpetrator:

http://rawstory.com/2010/01/pizza-heckler-bush-sr-murderous-zionist-piece-shit/

Noam Chomsky wrote at the time, "The real reason for U.S. opposition to Iraqi
occupation of Kuwait is ... to keep Washington, Wall Street, and their allies in
charge of setting oil prices. We are fighting to maintain and even enlarge one
of our few continuing claims to international economic clout: control of oil
prices" <http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199102--.htm>.

--CGE

believed to be clean.